Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Totem-Pole slotted IR sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tboydva

I have an instrument which sparges a gas stream through a bubble tube. This allows water in the gas stream to condense. However, when running lots of samples, the jacket can actually overflow soaking the downstream drying agent (and generally causing a mess). A while ago, I made a bubble sensor with a slotted optical switch. I used it in "switch mode" into a microcontroller as shown in this application bulletin. I want to do something similar, but I have a different slotted switch (inherited it). It is called a totem-pole. The datasheet here. I'm very confused. I understand "powering" the anode/cathode with a current-limiting resistor to "light up" the IR LED. What I don't understand is that this model has three wires on the "transistor" side. It appears as VCC (white), ground (green) and output (blue). With the four-wire version, I used a 10K resistor as in Figure 1 on the app note to create a bubble detection "switch." What I don't understand on this version is whether I have to calculate an R2? Could I just hook the anode to +5V through a limiting resistor, then hook cathode and "ground" to ground, then the white wire directly to 5V? Would I get high-to-low or low-to-high on the output (blue) wire? I don't understand which components are "inside" the package on Pg. 3. On the app note, there's a rectangle around the physical device on the circuit diagram. Has anyone ever used one these and can provide some direction? Thanks as always...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back