Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Sony Trinitron/WEGA issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterSPC700

Hello.

Recently I bought a Sony Trinitron/WEGA KV-34FS200. It seemed to work fine when I tested it with the seller. Later, I opened it to clean it as I usually do, applied grease to the anode cap, everything seemed fine and worked fine. Yesterday as I was playing a videogame, it began to show a “flash” in the bottom part of the screen along with a little “pop” sound, kinda like a static pop noise, it's hard to describe. It lasts less than a second and it happens at random times. Anyone has a clue of what could be? Just to point me in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here's a video o the issue (minus sound)

I would suggest probably the CRT flashing over?, a fairly common Trinitron problem - however, your 'mistake' was cleaning it, particularly cleaning it before making sure the set was 100% functional.

You say you greased the anode cap?, what kind of grease did you use? - and what was wrong with the factory grease?.

As a TV engineer for 46 years I saw countless repairs coming in, where the customers had cleaned it, and the set no longer worked, or had a new fault. I even had one B&W set (a Thorn 950 as I recall?), where the customer had cleaned it, then tightened down all the 'loose screws' in the IF transformers!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pointless cleaning inside a TV isn't generally a good idea (it doesn't help anything), unless there's a specific reason for doing it, such as a need to repair the set, where cleaning allows you to see what you're doing (and helps keep you cleaner).

I'm also quite bemused someone 'bought' a CRT TV :D - you can't usually give them away - and we tried, many times.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Well, I usually clean the sets I acquire with some air, just to remove dust because most of these sets are very dirty. Nothing crazy, I don't highpressureblow them to send everything flying away. The grease I use is a multi purpose synthetic dielectric grease Super Lube. And because I discharged the tube (removed the cap), I reapplied the grease. I did test the TV for a bit before cleaning, nothing seemed wrong.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Well, I usually clean the sets I acquire with some air, just to remove dust because most of these sets are very dirty. Nothing crazy, I don't highpressureblow them to send everything flying away. The grease I use is a multi purpose synthetic dielectric grease Super Lube. And because I discharged the tube (removed the cap), I reapplied the grease. I did test the TV for a bit before cleaning, nothing seemed wrong.
As far as I'm aware the grease is usually silicon grease, and not just a standard lubricating grease. Removing the anode cap and refitting doesn't mean it's needs regreasing, which is only normally done if you fit a new CRT.

Another point with Trinitron tubes, the anode cable is normally coaxial, and there's two connections running up it, with one fed from a potentiometer, used for setting static convergence if I remember correctly?, and you're supposed to have a special tool to remove it, to prevent damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back