Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with solar power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddy5584

I am looking to power a low energy use gps device haven't decided on a certain type of device but need this to be in a small package and able to run for possibly 4 years without an alternative power source. This will be in a commercial application and needs to be no more that 5 inches by 5 inches by 3 inches including all gps and solar connectivity. the gps needs to run for approximatly 15 hrs a day and be able to run on cloudy days as well. I think it can be done using a small solar source like one found in a garden light but am extremely new to this and wondered if it is just me being a novice or of I am correct in my assumptions of it be possible.

the gps I think will work is at this link:
**broken link removed**

this may be the system i am using just need to do somemore research to find out if it will give me the locations on a scale i need

Thanks for all your help and remember I am a newbie and not very up to date on what is out there due to just starting project

The solar panel in garden lights provides hardly any power at all, I would suggest you need a MUCH larger (and better quality) panel. GPS units are also fairly power hungry.

You really need to do some experiments, run tests on a solar panel under varying conditions, bearing in mind you're not going to get anywhere near the optimistic claimed ratings. Also get the electronics built and tested, and check on it's power requirements.

Nigel, the module he referenced says it will last 4 months on a 120mah hour battery. A solar cell might cut it with an efficient charging system using ultra capacitors. I'm not willing to do the math on it right now though. I'm asuming this is on the low reading setting (one reading every 24 hours)

The OP needs to do as Nigel suggested, determine his reading rate, set up the module and measure it's current usage. Also knowing the environemental risks helps (say a leaf falls on it and you lose power)

Last edited:
That gps/battery comination lasts for 2years @ 1 reading pre hour. If you doubled the battery capacity it should last for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back