• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Resistor Identification

Chad de Aguiar

Hi there

First time posting on forums for help because I frankly can't get this right haha.

I've got a power supply unit for a Tube Condenser Microphone that's blown a couple of components. A capacitor burnt out which I've already identified and I have a replacement on the way but for the life of me, I can't figure out this resistor. I've tried the colour code calculators and they seem to just not work. Any help identifying the unit would be greatly appreciated!

It is a metal film resistor for sure but the colour code doesn't seem to work.. From the left, the colour strips seem to be white, brown, silver, black, black and red. Please help if possible. Thanks guys :)

Attachments

Chad de Aguiar

I tried that but it doesn't seem to work with the colour code identifier ending on a white strip.

It's sitting between one leg of a transistor (at least I think it is) and a capacitor and diode. The negative pole of the capacitor that swelled was on another leg of the transistor (and it's positive pole was connected to what I assume is power out the tube in the microphone). Sorry I wish I could tell you more but I'll send a couple of photos and try annotate them as beat I can.

Attachments

rjenkinsgb

Most Helpful Member
Looking at the other photos, they appear to be four-band (for resistance value) type, with the two close together being tolerance and temperature coefficient,

Red-black-black-silver is then two ohms, brown is 1% tolerance and white should be TC, but white is not a standard code. It may be manufacturer specific.

Measure the value of one of the good ones to verify that is the correct reading direction; blue grey black brown should be 6800 Ohms.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
I always battle with any resistors other than standard marking ones. Imma 5 to 10 percent tolerance guy. My codes are OK... but often I battle with stuff that has discoloured.

EE World Online Articles