Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankC

Hi,

I'm new to the board as I mainly frequent the "model" pages. I recreate alot of SciFi related models exactly like they were made for films. Anyway, I am currently building a model of the Enterprise from Star Trek and there is a lighting effect I would like to recreate and was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I have some knowledge of electronics and have built circuits in the past but this one is a little more complicated. It simulates the firing of the ship and I would like to have a red LED slowly fade up and then flash simultaneously with a white LED and at the same time play a sound. The sequence would then repeat itself with another gun. I have a link below that has a video of what i would like to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**broken link removed**

I couldn't play the video so I'm not sure about the effect. You can use PWM to create just about any intensity profile you want. For an arbitrary profile you will need to use a microcontroller. A ramp up or down is fairly simple with to do with out a microcontroller, though.

Given your description, I think you should take some time to learn microcontrollers. there is a learning curve but the reward is that you can create just about any light effect you want. A basic stamp might be a decent solution for you though it is relatively expensive for what you get. learning PICs would be a more flexible and cost effective approach.

There may be other solutions that use lighting controllers but they will be fairly big and might not easily fit in a model.

Last edited:
I agree that using a cheap microcontroller such as the Microchip PIC16F series would allow you to best tune the effects to your liking.

To make the sounds, I would suggest connecting a ISD2532P 32-sec Record/Playback IC or similar chip to the microcontroller. You could record all your sounds into it and then have the microcontroller select the required sound for each effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back