Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help With Audio Oscillator Transistor Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gign0894

I have this oscillator built up as shown in the attached schematic, it is a wein bridge type oscillator. I have new requirements on how I should switch it, the previous switch utilized a low side driver driven from a microcontroller which controlled the switch, along with added components for system self checking. Now all I have to do is switch the oscillator via a 3.3V signal from a GPIO pin on the microcontroller. When the microcontroller pin is switched high I need sound to be produced from my circuit. I have tried a PNP transistor(2N4403) with no luck, I got a square wave as the output using different resistor values (100k on collector and 47k on emitter and 10k on base). This circuit does not need to be switched in the same way but I cannot switch the power/ground of the comparator IC since it runs 2 different tones for me. I also do not want to switch the output since I could get a pop sound from my amplifier before going to my speakers. Any help would be appreciated and I can use any transistor/technique!

Attachments

• Schematic_1.jpg
    Schematic_1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,845
Last edited:
It seems to me that changing the bias on the inverting input of the opamp while keying the oscillator on/off is likely to put an audible "click" into the audio, too.

use a MOSFET. if you feed the oscillator output through a cap, then through another cap to the amplifier, you now have a section between the caps where you can add a MOSFET. use a MOSFET with a low turn on voltage/ the drain goes to the junction between the caps, the source goes to ground, and the gate goes to your logic line. a logic high mutes the oscillator.

But I need a logic high to unmute the signal... any suggestions on which MOSFET to use for this? PMOS? The output signal is around 4.6 V, same with the existing switch voltage off of pin 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back