Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with a PS2 amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinni

I am trying to build a voltage amplifier fot boost the PS2 voltage of 5v to 12 volts. I want to put neon in me keyboard but don't want a seperate wire for the power supply. Can anyone help?

Sinni

how much current do you need for the neon?

an invertor can be as simple as a 555 feeding a voltage multiplier or as complex as a boost regulator based on say a 78S40......... 8)

Well i'm trying to connect StreetGlow's Hotwires **broken link removed**. After looking through their FAQ the 20" accent tube is about 1/2 amp. So guessing from that i would have to say the amperage should be pretty low.

Sinni

So you need a switcher that will provide 12vdc at around 500mA.......from a 5vdc source........Take a look at National Semiconductors web site for applications for the LM2577 switcher.......that should do the job with a low component count

post up if you need any more help

That should look prety cool when you finish. The stores here are selling lots of low voltage neon and LED components for the inside of computers and the auto stores are selling neon like the add you posted. I never heard of adding to the keyboard though. If you do it without adding any wires will be a real trick. Hope you will post a picture.

Don't forget to check PS2 5V output current capability.If You need 500mA on 12V boost reg.out, it sucks about 1,2A from 5V.
Maybe the circuit must be screened to avoid interference with data and clk signals.
As Chippie wrote, LM2577 the best choice, i also recommend it.

maybe i am wrong but isnt the current available on the PS/2 port limited to 500mA? so if you want 500mA for 12V you need .5 x 12/5=1.2A
how are you gonna get that from a PS/ 2 port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back