Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with 555 + 4017 Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

μZiQ

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and an Electronics student. We're trying to make a board-game timer using a 555 IC timer. I wanted something different compared to my peers, therefore i went on google and searched up the 4017 Decade counter. However using crocodile clips 6.0 I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to. I tried changing the push to make switch that lead to pin 2 into a signal generator to provide constant signals so the LEDs would light like a countdown from 10 seconds to 0. This did not work. Any thoughts to help fix this?

Thank you, sorry If my question was a little amateur (I'm only a freshman)
**broken link removed**

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
to provide constant signals so the LEDs would light like a countdown from 10 seconds to 0. This did not work. Any thoughts to help fix this?

you mean, you need a devide by 10, or 9 or 8...counter? for above configuration of 4017 providng a 1Hz input will make the LEDs to light from out-0 to out-9 then back to 0. if you need a devide by operation for example divde by 8 then connect out-7 to reset, now you will see all of the out puts goes high every 8 sec.

if your requirement is different, explain little more...

Yeah I would like the LEDs to light from out 0 to out 9 with a one second delay. Which pins should I connect to and why? Crocodile clips just does not label the pins clearly and I need to design this circuit on this program.

First: This is a 555 Timer data sheet.

Second: This is a 4017 decade counter divider data sheet.

Those links should help you with the pin out.

You are using the 555 as a clock running it as an astable multi-vibrator. If you want to increment the 4017 up one count every second you want the 555 to run at 1 Hz. The question now becomes exactly what you want the 4017 to do? The 4017 will increment 1 count for each input pulse 0 through 9 (10 counts). Do you want it to count to 9 and halt or count to 9 and recycle?

Ron

A pushbutton contact bounces each time you push it and each time you release it. Then its output is many pulses, not just one. You need a "switch debounce circuit" for a pushbutton to be used as a clock signal.

You have the 555 wired as a monostable. Instead you should wire it as an astable oscillator for it to clock the 4017 by itself without a signal generator and without a pushbutton.

You need to plan how to stop the 4017 when it finishes a countdown (using the enable pin).

Per AG if you plan to have switches other than on/off for power you need to use switch debouncing. I have attached what I think you are after using a 555 with adjustable frequency configured as a free running astable oscillator and what the results would look like with LEDs. Also, in your posted circuit you do not need a resistor to limit the current to each LED. Using a 4017 there will only be a single LED on at any given time.

Anyway, I think the attached is what you are looking for.

Ron

Attachments

• LED Sequence.gif
    LED Sequence.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 370
  • 555 4017 Circuit.gif
    555 4017 Circuit.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,893
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads