Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with 12v relay and transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stealth, I want to commend you for a great job of describing the problem and annotating the photo!

Ha, thanks ccurtis.. i wish the problem was solved though :(

This is really bothering me why this is doing this!

David

Real simple way to test.

With the AVR out of circuit, with a bit of wire bring the base resistor to GND (relay off) then to 5V (relay on)

If that doesn't work your transistor is either dead or incorrectly wired.

The emitter should be 0V (ground), sounds like there's 5V on it for some reason.

Real simple way to test.

With the AVR out of circuit, with a bit of wire bring the base resistor to GND (relay off) then to 5V (relay on)

If that doesn't work your transistor is either dead or incorrectly wired.

blueroomelectronics: As u can tell by the photos i posted on the first page, i have alagator clips supplying the volts. I am using the 5v off the ATMega stuff (without the chip in it of course).

To make sure I'm doing this correctly: Take the 5v and connect it to the base without a resistor? Straight 5v to base?

David

DON'T HOOK 5V STRAIGHT TO THE BASE! You will burn it out.

You might want to try a 2N2222 transistor instead. The relay pulls 100ma or so, what you're using is an audio drive transistor.

DON'T HOOK 5V STRAIGHT TO THE BASE! You will burn it out.

You might want to try a 2N2222 transistor instead. The relay pulls 100ma or so, what you're using is an audio drive transistor.

I have an 1n4004 but not a 2n2222. I'm using the 1n4004 between the coil as u can tell on my drawing.

So, do u want me to use the 1k + 10k on the base with the 5v? If so, thats what im already doing.

David

However i do have a BC548 Small Signal Transistors NPN 30V 100mA HFE/8 i can try out if you think that would work better?

David

The transistor is wired backwards.
You have the transistor connected like a European BC548 but you are using an American Fairchild transistor that has the collector and emitter pins reversed.

Look at the pins in the datasheet the next time.

The transistor is wired backwards.
You have the transistor connected like a European BC548 but you are using an American Fairchild transistor that has the collector and emitter pins reversed.

Look at the pins in the datasheet the next time.

I challenge your view, audioguru.

On the sheet it has:
1. Emitter
2. Base
3. Collector

and thats looking at the flat side.

Now look at my picture:
**broken link removed**

That is the correct order.

And here's the transistor showing u that it is, indeed, looking at it from the flat view.
**broken link removed**

Prove me wrong, please. :)

Davod

Ok i switch transistors to the BC548 Small Signal Transistors NPN 30V 100mA HFE/8 and almost burned my skin off!!!! (it got REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hot)

And yes i hooked it up correctly. It was backwards from what the other transistor was (CBE). So what did i do incorrectly with that??? When i was checking the volts, it had 0.70v on the base with the 5v connected... but then i started smelling "The smell" and yeah, thats when i almost burned my finger off.

David

Measure the current through the relay hooked straight to 12V and tell us what you get.

Then your 1N4004 or relay coil is shorted.
A transisror that drives a short circuit gets extremely hot.

You talk weird.
Relays do not open and close.
Instead they turn on and turn off.

EDIT:
Tell your professor that she (he or it) talks weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back