Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required to program a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERGOYE

Hi guys good morning, i am new for this forum, I need your help on programming PIC16F84 M.C. i have no idea to program it. I was trying to build one of EPEmag project which is called "MOODPICKER" there in the project i found this pre-programmed microcontroller ....i search for source code in the EPE website i found one file but i am not sure wether it is the right thing or not to program the PIC.....please can you help me...to program it? I can send you all the information what you need. Thank you for your time and patience

ftp://ftp.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/pub/PICS/moodPICker/mindpic.asm
This is additional information for who would like to reply to me.

Oh you meant you need someone to assist you in how to write code for one?

Your link in post #3 is the source code. (The .asm file is a source code file.) If you do a search for "EPE TK3 programmer " or "EPE PK3 programmer" I think you will find a link to an assembler that will assemble the source file from post #3. It is not to difficult to modify the .asm file so that it can be assembled with MPASM (Microchip assembler)

Les.

Since the code is in Assembly and you are apparently new at this, I suggest going going here and downloading MPLab IDE 8.92 that is appropriate for your PC: https://www.microchip.com/development-tools/downloads-archive

You will also need a 32.768 kHz crystal for that chip. If you can change to the almost identical 16F628A chip, it has internal oscillators. But you will need to change the code slightly to use them. We can help you do that.

John

When our fearless leader (Ian Rogers) switches, so will I.;)

More seriously, I have considered trying MPLAB X a few times recently, if only for the newer chips and fewer hangups. The thinking behind my comment was that for someone quite new, 8.92 is pretty darn intuitive. Albeit, that opinion is based only on my experience with X shortly after it came out.

When our fearless leader (Ian Rogers) switches, so will I.
I am reviewing MPLBX 4 as we speak.... BUT!! It's the multi project thing that still gives a headache... When two + projects are open the interface still confuses the linker where relevant files are.... If used with one project at a time, then it's quite stable. But! I have a bit more testing to do...

Fearless leader!!! LOL Miles off the mark...

You can pick up cheap Chinese PICKIT3 clones on ebay.
I paid £20 for one with a ZIF multiple socket interface.

You can pick up cheap Chinese PICKIT3 clones on ebay.
I paid £20 for one with a ZIF multiple socket interface.

They are as low as $12.00 USD post free but no socket to "burn" the chip.

You need this

Top-noChip.jpg

I'd double check the connections to that burner board before programming a PIC with it. There are at least two different common pin arrangements for power supply, clock, and data lines.

I always add a 6 way molex connector on my pcb for programming the PIC.
Saves removing and inserting the PCI each time.

Re: Burner boards
1) Only a 5-pin connector is needed for ICSP; although, the Microchip factory connector is 6 pin. I blank off the socket and use a 6-pin header. The helps ensure proper orientation when the room or my eyes are dim. As time progresses, that connector is getting disproportionately large compared to everything else on the board.
2) Microchip recommends against any passive devices in the bidirectional clock or data lines to the programmer. It typically recommends resistors for isolation from the rest of the circuit when those pins are used for other things. See: https://microchipdeveloper.com/dtda:icsp-considerations. Colin's adapter has LED's labeled clock and data. How are they connected?
3) I prefer a ZIF socket on my "burner boards" when I am not doing ICSP. As BobW points out, there are several different configurations needed. The particular boards I use allow changes to the configuration by jumpers (**broken link removed**).

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back