Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required to program a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need this

top-nochip-jpg.107827
I wouldn't recommend this board. It's poorly designed and probably a good candidate for the "Spot the Mistake" column on the TalkingElectronics web site, a 'closed' web site where the Author can ridicule designs without having to deal with comments from victims (reference: spot-the-mistake post).

Last edited:
Jpanhalt ,john, ...all stuffs....i bought this pickit3 what can i do next.....?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 194
You have source code and a programmer. Re-read posts 9, 10 and 11. Make a decision as to which IDE* you plan to use, and move forward. A good place to start is usually with the directions and a worked example. But first, you need to make that decision.

John

*MPLab 8.92 or MPLabX 4

Then, I recommend that you do "debugging" before programming. You do not really require the PK3 or a chip to do that. Although, you can install and debug with just the Assembly file (.asm), I strongly recommend that you use "Project Wizard" and create a project. Do not select PK3 as your debugger right now, pick instead "MPLab SIM." Then add your program and step through it in debug mode.

Once that is working, switch to "Release." Change your debugger to "none" and select your programmer as PK3. Then rebuild and program your chip to see if it works.

I have found an error in the source code in post #3. There is a line that says "goto loop 0" It should say "goto loop0" The extra space is making it look for a symbolic location loo (Which does not exist but loop0 does exist.) After changing this line it assembles using the EPE magazine TK3 toolkit. I have also edited the source file so it assembles using MPASMX.exe (v5.55) This is somewhere in the MPLABX directory structure.

Edit. I have put the .hex file (Created using the TK3 toolkit) into my dropbox folder You should be able to download it from this URL
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9orq1f4bydh95q/MOODPIC02.HEX?dl=0

Les.

Last edited:
Les Jones....thank you.....next should i have to load to chips that hex file by using pickit3 ?

Les....good morning ...i got success to program that PIC16F84 with JDM hardware with the software which is called PICgm programmed. and i used the hex file which you sent me...and in the software it ask to correct the configbit...and I did that. now i am going to install the programmed PIC16F84 in to my project...

You have source code and a programmer. Re-read posts 9, 10 and 11. Make a decision as to which IDE* you plan to use, and move forward. A good place to start is usually with the directions and a worked example. But first, you need to make that decision.

John

*MPLab 8.92 or MPLabX 4

About to move to Win 10; does MPLab 8.92 run in Win 10?

Last edited:
Use Linux with MPLAB-X you will be amazed at how much better it runs on 64 bit Linux.
I have 4 on windows 10 and Linux the linux box rocks the socks off windows.

Now if I can get my head to working I'm getting there slowly

Do you mean PK3 , not TK3?

If so, PK3 means PICKit 3. It is the low-end programmer/debugger made by Microchip and works well for low-volume hobby work. There are also clones and counterfeits on the Internet and eBay.

Some eBay prices are better, but be careful what you get. If you get directly from Microchip, it has a generous warranty/replacement program that is not advertised. In other words, there is a written warranty. But if your programmer fails for an unknown reason, Microchip has a vested interest in helping you program its chips. I had one simply replaced that failed. In another instance, Microchip gave me a good discount in the ICD3 programmer just because I also had a PK3 (almost full credit for the PK3 and I didn't have to return it).

So, although Internet prices might be cheaper, there is an advantage to getting an authentic PK3 from Microchip or an authorized reseller.

John

Do you mean PK3 , not TK3?

If so, PK3 means PICKit 3. It is the low-end programmer/debugger made by Microchip and works well for low-volume hobby work. There are also clones and counterfeits on the Internet and eBay.

Some eBay prices are better, but be careful what you get. If you get directly from Microchip, it has a generous warranty/replacement program that is not advertised. In other words, there is a written warranty. But if your programmer fails for an unknown reason, Microchip has a vested interest in helping you program its chips. I had one simply replaced that failed. In another instance, Microchip gave me a good discount in the ICD3 programmer just because I also had a PK3 (almost full credit for the PK3 and I didn't have to return it).

So, although Internet prices might be cheaper, there is an advantage to getting an authentic PK3 from Microchip or an authorized reseller.

John

Maybe 3 years ago they replaced, with no questions, even if I not requested by me, my failed Picstart Plus, sending a brand new one from USA to Bs. As.

Returning the failed one to Arizona costed more than buying a new one to the local representative, but noblesse obliges.

I have lived through a lot of history. But I haul my horse in a trailer, rather than the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back