Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help repairing an Headset with dual jack connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

João Dias

Hi guys! This is my first post here because I'm in trouble finding a right solution to repair my headset. So this is my headset:

gamecom.jpg

And I broke to two jacks and lost them. The cable is cut before the plastic splitter and I´ve got an image with the cables. There are 1 green, 1 red, one copper cable, and one larger copper cable with a white cable inside of it. I've searched in the internet for a solution but the DIY's I found was for headphones with micro, in this case I have 2 TRS jacks, instead of one TRRS jack.

The image:

**broken link removed**

I don't quite understand the connections I have to make If I order 2 jack replacements. I assume that the green and red cable and the copper cable are for the Audio jack, and the other one should be for the micro?

Has anyone got a situation like that? I'm a little lost, don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
João Dias

Hi JD,

Welcome to ETO.

Which part of Portugal are you at?

What is the model number of your headset?

spec

PS: if you fill in 'Location' on your user page it will show in the box at the left of your posts

Just a guess, but I'd say the red is right, green is left, single copper is common; the copper and its white wire would be the microphone (white is positive/active, and copper is return/gnd)

Hi JD,

Welcome to ETO.

Which part of Portugal are you at?

What is the model number of your headset?

spec

PS: if you fill in 'Location' on your user page it will show in the box at the left of your posts

Ok thanks for the message. The model is Plantronics Gamecom 367 K1.

Just a guess, but I'd say the red is right, green is left, single copper is common; the copper and its white wire would be the microphone (white is positive/active, and copper is return/gnd)

I thought the same, although I wasn't sure of. I'll buy TRS jack replacements and I will try to connect them, and I hope I could have more replies until that.

Thank you for all the support.

Hi JD,

I just phoned Plantronics and they could not have been more pleasent or less helpful. You would think I was asking for the plans of a nuclear submarine, by their reaction.

By the way these phones can be got on the net for around £27UK, so they are not too expensive.

From what I can tell dougy, you are right. The screened cable with the white inner cable is the mike connection and goes to one jack plug and the green and red cables are the left and right transducers with the copper wire being common, and go to another jack plug.

spec

Last edited:
I just phoned Plantronics and they could not have been more plesent or less helpful. You would think I was asking for the plans of a nuclear submarine, by their reaction.

By the way these phones can be got on the net for around £27UK, so they are not too expensive.

From what I can tell dougy, you are right. The screened cable is the mike connection and goes to one jack plug and the green and red cables are the left and right transducers with the copper wire being common, and go to another jack plug.

spec

Thank you so much for your support, it wasn't necessary to call to Plantronics, but I appreciate your help spec! I know the headset isn't expensive, but is something I had laying around my house and wanted to repair it, since the only problem was the cable. I had another one, but I would be satisfied If I could repair those phones.

Thank you for the support, I've ordered jack replacements from eBay, as soon as they arrive I'll post the verdict.

Best regards,
João Dias

Thank you so much for your support, it wasn't necessary to call to Plantronics, but I appreciate your help spec! I know the headset isn't expensive, but is something I had laying around my house and wanted to repair it, since the only problem was the cable. I had another one, but I would be satisfied If I could repair those phones.

Thank you for the support, I've ordered jack replacements from eBay, as soon as they arrive I'll post the verdict.

Best regards,
João Dias

No sweat JD,

Good luck with the repair- I think you will be successful.:happy:

spec

JD,

Be aware that wiring a jack isn't as straight forward as you'd think:
upload_2016-11-14_9-32-34.png

or
upload_2016-11-14_9-33-23.png

or
upload_2016-11-14_9-34-5.png

Ran into this with a throat mike/earphone rig. Depended on what type of device it was being attached to...

Last edited:
JD,

Be aware that wiring a jack isn't as straight forward as you'd think:
View attachment 102320
or
View attachment 102321
or
View attachment 102322
Ran into this with a throat mike/earphone rig. Depended on what type of device it was being attached to...

Thank you cowboybob for the reminder. But the examples are with TRRS jacks, I'm planning to use two TRS jacks, to match the original wiring. Are there any different wiring options with jacks TRS as well?

''' I'm planning to use two TRS jacks, to match the original wiring. Are there any different wiring options with jacks TRS as well? ...
Not that I've seen, other than R and L (T & R) being swapped in stereo apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back