Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help please Novice need Tv help Toshiba Crt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole098

Hello from the USA, I could use a hand. I have a toshiba 36 inch CRT TV set that is HDTV ready. Well about 12 months ago the tv would go off and on in a flash. So I called a service guy. He came and took the main board from the set. Had it for months and ignored my calls. Finally like 12 months latter I go and pick the board up. So I was stuck putting the board back in and reconnecting all the wires. I connected everyting I could, I connected the small board that plus into the back of the CRT TUBE with the clamp. Well the only thing left to hook up is that suction cup thing. Well Im scared to death to connect it as I dont know if the service guy ever discharged the tube. Can you give me any tips as I connected everything and that is all that is left. Thanks Joe

Last edited:
after 12 months, I would be very surprised if there is any charge left in it...but just to satisfy your inner child...take an insulated wire...put one end of it on the braid going round the back of the tube...and pop the other end into where the anode is and hold it there for a few secs, after that you can clip the transformer lead and suction cup back into place without fear...

Can you tell me what the anode is??? Is it the place/hole where the suction cup would plug into???

Also there is a very fine flate Ground wire that goes around the back of the CRT . There is another BIG Black Wire almost looks like wire loom but it is not that goes around the back of the CRT also. It is shielded. Which wire do I pick. The small exposed flat ground cable or the big wire that looks like Wire loom?? I see no way to touch the insode of the BIG Black wire.. Joe

cole098 said:
Can you tell me what the anode is??? Is it the place/hole where the suction cup would plug into???

Yes, that's the final anode.

Also there is a very fine flate Ground wire that goes around the back of the CRT . There is another BIG Black Wire almost looks like wire loom but it is not that goes around the back of the CRT also. It is shielded. Which wire do I pick. The small exposed flat ground cable or the big wire that looks like Wire loom?? I see no way to touch the insode of the BIG Black wire.. Joe

It's the flat ground wire you use, it connects to the aquadag (the black graphite painted round the tube, which forms one plate of a capacitor).

You suggest the set is HD?, this is unlikely for a CRT set - there are supposedly a few HD CRT sets available, or due to become available shortly, but they are certainly VERY rare.

You also enter your location in your, so people know what country you are in!.

Thanks All

Thanks for the help ... I got it back together and Im afraid it performs worse than it did before as it will not pick-up any channels on the tunner when hooked to cable... The only wire I was uncertain that I hooked to the main board was a ( Black wire/ white wire) both wires were part of a connector to plug on the board together. The problem is there was no way to tell if its plugged in properly . The plug fit two pins that stuck up from the board and it didnt seem to matter what way it was plugged into the pins. This was the only place for the plug to go into due to the size if the connector /pins. The wires came from the Black looking wire loom that went around the back of the CRT itself. The black thick wire was coated someway not a wire loom. This wire ran into it. The black and white wire were almost the size of 12 gauge wiring. any clue what it does?? Joe

You should file a claim against that joker at your local BBB office or attorney general's office. Give them some time to investigate and likely you may see favorable results. Don't let extremely poor customer service and wrong-doings like that tarnish the electronic service industry by allowing that clown to perpetuate things further. If all else fails, toss the entire tv set through the shop's front window!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back