Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help : On RS232 drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spasm

Hey all,

I've posted this on the other threads but doesnt seem to have a reply there. Has anyone used the SP3223 driver IC or MAX3223 IC? Are those 2 the same? Just need someone to confirm my findings.

Thanx

Yes they are equivalent of each other except that the "/Invalid" pin of MAX3223 is named as "/Status" in SP3223 and "ForceON" of MAX3223 is named as "/Online" in SP3223. Rest all electrical characteristics are matching.

Hey kinjal,

So does this mean the schematic for SP3223 will work for MAX3223 too rite? Just need to confirm.

Thanx

I am doubtful about "ForceON" and "/Online" pins because the active logic of these pins are oppsite. If you are not using this pin then you can use either of them.

Hi kinjalgp,

Will it work if for the MAX3223, if for the SP3223, /ONLINE pin is connected to /STATUS pin. Will it be the same to couple /INVALID and forceon?

Thanx

You have mad a mistake. The pins descriptions are like this (from datasheet)
MAX3223 : "/Invalid" : Indicates if a valid RS-232 level is present
on receiver inputs logic “1”.
SP3223 : "/Status" : Online and Shutdown status.

MAX3223: "ForceON" : Drive high to override automatic circuitry keeping transmitters on (FORCEOFF must be high).
SP3223: "/Online" : Apply Logic High to Override Auto Online circuitry keeping the drivers active (SHUTDOWN) must be logic high.

So this means that only "/Invalid" & "/Status" pin have different functions.

Hey kinjal,

Well, I'm not sure whether its different cos in the schematic i have, on sp3223, the status pin is connected to the online pin. Looking at the data sheet table for both sp3223 and max3223, both have almost the same logic table for pin 14 and 11(except for one or 2 cases where the forceon state is 'X'). Hrmm...still not sure bout it. Plan to try using the MAX3223 but do you think it will cause major damage to other parts(like the RS232 port?)

Thanx

No don't worry about that. Any how it will not damage your serial port. It just the control pin for IC which won't affect the serial data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back