Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on question DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespalmer100

Hey there, I've got a distinction question on my exam that I cant answer and wondered if I could get some help. The questions are 1. review why a dc motor needs a starter 2. discuss the operation of a dc motor starter with the aid of a suitable diagram.

Thanks in advance for any help. James

A DC motor does not use a starter. A car uses a starter.

When a DC power supply is connected to a DC motor then the motor will draw a high peak current as it starts running then the current decreases as the motor speeds up.

If the power supply cannot supply enough current for the motor to start by itself but has enough current for the motor to run then you must turn its armature manually to get it started.

That would be a valid question if it said AC instead of DC.
I believe it's a typographical error.

Last edited:
The question asked about a starter for a DC motor.
But some AC motors use a starter capacitor, not DC motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back