Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on increasing IR transmitting distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcd2diablo

hello everyone

i have a circuit that outputs a digital fm signal at 75 khz , i want to transmit this signal using the TSAL6100 high power IR led, does any one has an idea of a driving circuit that will help in extracting the highest possible range
i was thinking about trying a 2n2222 ,, and in the future i intend to use a lens also

thanks to any one who replies

That LED has a maximum continuous forward current of 100mA and a maximum peak of 200mA so a 2N2222 should work find. Be sure you have a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current.

If you need more range you could drive more than one LED in parallel. Each LED will need it's own current limit resistor.

I'd go with Nigel. When working with LED's I determine the voltage drop of the LED and put as many in series as I can till I end up with more voltage than I have power supply, drop it back one and use a resistor to drop the remainder.

Certainly putting the diodes in series is a good idea if you have the voltage. The only disadvantage is that the diode current becomes more sensitive to the change in battery voltage as the batteries discharge.

The disadvantage with a bigger resistor and single leds is you're throwing the power away in the resistor. I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather have the LED's slowly dim as the battery weakend then have the battery drain twice as fast for an equvilent brightness.

The disadvantage with a bigger resistor and single leds is you're throwing the power away in the resistor. I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather have the LED's slowly dim as the battery weakend then have the battery drain twice as fast for an equvilent brightness.

I'm with you!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back