Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on fixing my VCR please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

My VCR is messing up. *Hugs new DVD player he got as early Christmas present* Anyway, sometimes when I put a tape in, it goes in, but doesn't go "down" and indicate that there is a tape in. It get stuck, kind of. But I can either shake it loading side down to get the tape out and let it fall on my foot, or I can unplug it and plug it back in so it will atoumaticly eject. And if I try to force the tape down, it will go down, but the VCR acts like it's not even in there. I'm guessing it's some kind of switch that detects when you start to put the tape in, then tells the VCR to "take" the tape. What could be wrong and how can I fix it? I really need help please. Thanks. :?

Rain

Electric Rain said:
My VCR is messing up. *Hugs new DVD player he got as early Christmas present* Anyway, sometimes when I put a tape in, it goes in, but doesn't go "down" and indicate that there is a tape in. It get stuck, kind of. But I can either shake it loading side down to get the tape out and let it fall on my foot, or I can unplug it and plug it back in so it will atoumaticly eject. And if I try to force the tape down, it will go down, but the VCR acts like it's not even in there. I'm guessing it's some kind of switch that detects when you start to put the tape in, then tells the VCR to "take" the tape. What could be wrong and how can I fix it? I really need help please. Thanks. :?

Rain

If you mentioned what make and model it was, and also how old it was, we might have a clue about it.

One of the most common causes of things like this is a label from a cassette stuck inside - but presumably you've had the top off and looked inside.

Any VCR of any recent vintage no longer has a cassette detector switch, they use the tape end sensors to detect the tape is in place.

You may want to open the VCR and clean the sensors off with a cue-tip or SOFT SOFT SOFT cloth. Don't use any solvents or cleaners.

Generally, the sensors get masked over by dust, or debris, such as a label. It wouldn't hurt to do some general housekeeping while you're in there. Clean the surfaces, the

CRITICAL, be sure not to touch the VCR head ( A shiny silver colored cylinder, about the size of a hocky puck). If you feel you need to clean the head, check on line, there is a specific procedure for doing this. I wouldn't suggest it, if you're not sure how to do it properly. There are almost-microscopic ferrite bands on the VCR head. If a portion is broken off, or distorted, you might as well buy a new VCR.

You can also search Goole.com for VCR repair tips. They'll give you a step by step guide to cleaning.

Good luck!

In fact all depends on wich VCR model and brand you have.
What I can do is to give you couple most common failures I foud so far that could be the case here.
1)The sensors that detect the tape wherever you push it in are usually located or in the top or right side of the intake comparment. I never found these switches with problems. You can just check if it is fisically not damaged and then with the VCR off, test the switch by activating it by hand and using the multitester in "ohm" position to test its electrical caracteristics.
2)Depending on the VCR, the motor that drives the tape in can be a separated motor or the same that turns the tape(drum motor). I found this problem mostly related to the power supply that feeds this motor, dead or almost dead or with hight ripple because a bad capacitor in the power supply. You should of corse have the schematic diagram on hands to be able to follow the motor power supply to its source and test it.
3) Other thing I found is that, all mechanical commands are usually syncronized by a sync gear located under the video chassis and connected to the drum motor mechanically. This gear holds couple electric contacts that interact with the electronic logic control and feedback it about the actual mechanical position of the tape. I found this gear many times out of position which keep the logic control unable to properly manage the motors.

Good luck,

Nilo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back