Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed to make a driver circuit for three large seven segment displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I did a project for the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration), I got a lot of pushback over my decision to use 7 segment LEDs over liquid crystal displays. "The look so much better and we can have fancy graphics. And they are so cheap!"

Yes, that's true. But the FAA is still using equipment from the 70s with no plan to replace it. This stuff I build may still be in use long after I care. I don't know how long a cheap LCD will hold up, and I don't know (and seriously doubt) any displays with the same driver chip and mounting dimensions will be available at any point in the future. By my calculations, based on expected use, my LED displays should work at a minimum of 15 years, and I expect 0.56" 7 segment displays to be around long after that, available from many different sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back