Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed replacing capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3vilc

Hi all,

I have a laptop that I am trying to fix. The problem is a blown capacitor on the power regulator board. There are no markings on it anywhere. I have measured a similar cap on the board at 10uF so im using this as a base for replacement. However, I am unsure what type of cap to replace it with, it looks like a small chip about the size of an 8pin IC. Looks like a surface mount tantalum and being a computer circuit i would assume it is, but tantalums are polarised and there are no marks on the old cap or the board as to a + or - side (other caps like electros on the board are marked on the + side). It appears the only caps available upto this size in, and in a small enough physical size are electros and tantalums, both of which are polarised. I have already tried a bipolar electro and that didnt work.

Can anyone offer any help, can i do much further damage trial and error fitting a tantalum, other than blowing the new cap if its round the wrong way

Thanks in advance
Clive M

you really cant measure capacitors in-cirucit, the capacitor meter will real the capacitance across the terminal. This will inclue the capacitor you are measuring plus any other capacitance seen by this point

the measurement was done with the component unsoldered from the board. also measured by soldering a quick voltage divider circuit and calculating the capacitance, the results of which where confirmed by my friends meter (mine doesnt have a capacitor function :(
so we established it is a capacitor, just trying to replace it.
looking at websites which sell surface mount components it only looks like a tantalum, yet all the ones I can find are also polarised and as I say the board doesnt appear to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back