Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed for power supply circuit using an IC voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinn90

i need to get output voltage of -5V. Is circuit correct?

Assume that there is negligible ripple voltage across C1.
VC1(pk) = VI = -10V
Vs(peak) = -10V -0.7V - 0.7V

Therefore the secondary voltage rating of the transformer (in rms):
Vs(rms) = -11.7V/1.414 = -8.27 volts

**broken link removed**

electrical characteristics
Cout= 1uF , cin =0.33uF , Iout= 350mA, Vin = -10V

Partial credit!

First, in order to satisfy the no ripple assumption, Cin has to be HUGE, like >10,000uF!

The minimum allowed voltage at the regulator input is -5+(-Vdo), where Vdo is the DropOut Voltage of the regulator, typically ~2V.

Cin has to supply all of the output current for ~10msec (at 50Hz line freq), so the size of Cin depends on load current, and what the transformer secondary voltage is.

You have two variables which can be traded off; the size of Cin and the secondary voltage. Usually, you pick an off-the-shelf transformer which dictates Vsec, and then you compute the size of Cin.

Tell me what transformers you have available, and I will show you how to calculate Cin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back