Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with bipolar stepper motor..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashok001

I am devising a knock lock for which i used a bipolar stepper motor using a mosfet driver..I have four terminals coming out of motors! I connected them all with four mosfets...Now it doesn't move...so I did a small research on internet on bipolar stepper motor drivers and i got these circuit diagrams in which they connected the motor with MC driver as I did but the coils are also coonected to 12 v from their middle...
From where should this connection be made..??? We have four terminals coming out of motor which are all already engaged completely... So how will this 12v battery connection to motor made?

The tap in the middle is there so you can also use those kinds of motors with either unipolar drive OR bipolar drive. What you have is correct for bipolar drive, just make sure you have them connected correctly - hook a coil pair to +12V and ground while holding the shaft of the motor, see if you can feel it "jump".

Last edited:
So u r telling me that I need not change anything except to check whether my motor is working....There will be no connection needed to make it to 12v or something

No! 4 wired motor is definitely a bipolar stepper motor and i even confirmed that with datasheets!

You're right. That's why I removed my post. I'm glad you asked, because that make me go look up this circuit. I plan on using it to test some surplus steppers I bought. The reason I like this circuit is because it helps me to understand the logic of driving the motors. It also shows how the leads connect to the h-bridges. If you suspect you're motors aren't working, you can quickly breadboard the ckt and try it. Inputs "Direction" and "Step" can just come from switches, and the "Enable" signal, along with Q10 and Q5 aren't really needed.

Attachments

• stepperDriver.gif
    stepperDriver.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 10,075
I am really confused on what part of my circuit is not working...I had this whole circuit made on breadboard in front of me but not the motor is running....Two LEDs i connected to Microcontroller to show the right inputs glow when I power up the circuit without microphone and amplifier ..with them, one of the leds puts off all by itself...Dont know why but it is a symbol of false hit made for the lock in the program..then even the motor is not running..I had motor powered up by mosfets. Shall I provide u with schematic?

Last edited:
A schematic might help, but if you're using a microcontroller, we might need the code too.

You know, I think there is an error with the circuit I posted in the way that the J-K flip flops are connected to the XOR gates. Can anyone verify?

Last edited:
Get the motor turning first, worry about the microphone later. Send a slow quadrature signal to the mosfets and see if the motor turns.

If you have a data sheet for the motor, it shows the correct phase progression to get the motor to step. Some motors will function with unipolar drive where current only flows in one direction through the active windings (connect 12V to the common, and then ground one or two windings at a time). The drive transistors only switch to ground.

Other motors require bipolar drive, where current flows alternately one direction, not at all, or the other direction. Bipolar motors require push-pull drive transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back