Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me identify the use of this component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtulica

59F9C704-C9F7-49F1-88A3-59DD46EE777E.jpeg
3067DE04-8383-471B-A1FF-A22B5A30FBCD.jpeg
It is a super tiny thing that looks to have a coil or wire inside, one of them broke. It was also magnetic.
I was trying to open the housing of this Bluetooth pair to repair a broken earbud and then I hit one of these components off.
Can I repair this by bridging the gap or will it fry something?
!!! Important: when trying to power on it does not, before knocking it off it was powering on.

Presumably it's an inductor, a coil of wire on a ferrite core - probably part of a buck or boost converter?. If you can repair it, exactly as it was (difficult because of the tiny size) then it should be OK. Obviously the number of turns, and the core, are both important.
Yeah, the damn thing is so small I can’t even see the connection points. So if I can’t reconnect this inductor there is no other way to fix it?

you would need a microscope, tweezers and sharp iron tip to burn the insulation coating to bond with added flux a wire to the broken wire. Chances of finding a match are slim to none unless you can measure L, DCR and guess on I max, f. There is an NFET beside it , which means it is likely what Nigel said.

Yes, it's an inductor. No, you can't just bridge it. You would definitely have to replace it with an inductor. You might try the largest inductance you can find in that package. If it's a buck converter, a larger inductor will work. If it's a boost converter, maybe not. Inductors like that are available from Digi-Key and Mouser.

If L is too big, then DCR (=Rs) rises and may get too hot inducing a thermal runaway in the ferrite. Most likely it reduces USB 5V to charge a battery by storing switched current ramps over 1A. Circa 10 uH

Last edited:
True. If it gets hot, at least it is running. Then you can measure the frequency and figure out what inductance is needed. Of course, you'll need the voltages too but if it's a USB POL regulator, then you already know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back