Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP me build a gas gauge????

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is why i cant use 10...i could use sx like i said earlier..not enough room

**broken link removed**
this is a small little buisness i have putting intergrated gear indicators on bikes (the 7 seg. display in the middle) then bunches of people wanted me to design a fuel gauges and thats where i am at (the fuel leds are just photoshoped as you can tell :) ) BOY I LOVE LEDs

Well there are Small LED's and there are SMALLER LED's.

I have some here that are only 1/16 Inch Square.
Side by Side, 10 would be 5/8 Inch Long.

But Anyway, Have FUN.

GARY

browningbuck said:
here is why i cant use 10...i could use sx like i said earlier..not enough room

**broken link removed**
this is a small little buisness i have putting intergrated gear indicators on bikes (the 7 seg. display in the middle) then bunches of people wanted me to design a fuel gauges and thats where i am at (the fuel leds are just photoshoped as you can tell :) ) BOY I LOVE LEDs

Very cool looking design.

As said already there are a zillion different LED designs. You might want to consider looking around before freezing your project.

Here are just a few ideas:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Lefty

only reason i can down grade in size is due to mcd they will in the end have a photo resistor, and have to be bright enough in the day to be clairly visable, on a motorcycle, and plus 5 is cheaper and more simple for me to sell :) (less holes i have to drill in an $80 face plate)

i still have a prob with getting this in bar mode instead of dot :( i have tried as said before connecting pin 3 and 9 (no luck) any sugestions????? and the project has not been put on pause it was just the weekend :) i had to work on 3 sets of gauges

**broken link removed**

i kinda liked this one a little

Last edited:
To get it in bar mode simply provide power to the Mode Node...if that doesn't work then something is messed and you should try another chip of the same type.

okay i did hook up mode to power, but nothing...i had to get an NTE1508 instead of the LM3914 but it says its a dot / bar????? and did try a new chip..nothing different:(

looks like a nice display

if you dont want to have to drill loads of holes then you could use a led bargraph

**broken link removed**

they are avilible in many colours and are small enoughf to fit esily onto the space you have

one place to ordere
**broken link removed**

but they are avalible at lots of places

Last edited:
browningbuck said:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/fuel-gif.15847/

okay so i am working out some bugs still on this and was wondering where to stick a photo resistor on this cicuit to make it dim when there isnt much light???? i also ordered a new chip to see if that was the problem on getting the thing to light up as Bar instead of dot, being connecting pin nine to V+ didnt work

I Doubt this can Work in Bar Mode, Because my design is running the display in Reverse.

To get Bar Mode, you would require Reversing the input voltage with an Op-amp and operating in Normal mode.

oh crap so i can either ask everyone how to wire up an Op-amp, or as how to wire this up to work in normal mode with out an op-amp....

anyone feel like helping me out?????

Chemelec you have been kicking butt, and thanks for everything :)

browningbuck said:
oh crap so i can either ask everyone how to wire up an Op-amp, or as how to wire this up to work in normal mode with out an op-amp....

If you Email me with the Info, I'll see about doing up a Proto-type circuit up for you, with the Inverter circuit and the bar display.

I Need All the Info Again, including those resistances of the gas sender unit!

And I would Definately Recommend you go with 10 Leds, 5 won't give enough accuracy.

Gary

browningbuck said:

BTW. You do not have your location filled in. Where in the world are you?

browningbuck said:
:D

hey guys i have a 12V system and need help to figure out a solution to this problem...okay i dont need help...i need some one to hold my hand through this :eek:

**broken link removed**

okay here is the information....

the systemwith 5 leds has been working FLAWLESSLY...i should get you a vid up tonight when i get to my camera. it is sooooo accurate that i couldnt ask for anything more. but i am still willing to start with a fresh idea so tell me what else you would need. if anything i think 6 would be BEST... so that i could have 5 lights noting in a bar like this picture and the 6th kicking on the gas light like so

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
this is what i have so far.... i dont think it will EVER work in Bar mode due to the theory behind it, so i think i might need to start from scratch...and i want to do it with a photoresistor and 6 leds. let me know if you can help....GOD you guys are BAD A$$ SOBs wiht this stuff and i thank you for everything.

Brian

Hi Browningbuck,

Maybe you need a different approach, I think the circuit is too
complicated. If you send a constant current through the gas
gauge the voltage across it's terminals will be proportional to
it's resistance. Then you can measure this voltage with the
LM3914, nothing to it but, there always is a but . . .
The LM3914 should drive five leds, the minimum level should
correspond to 12 :eek:hm: , the maximum level to 132 :eek:hm: .
No problem (?) if you could build your own LM3914 to meet
your specifications, in practice there is a minimum level and
the maximum level is ten times the minimum level.
So I decided to apply a constant current of 10 mA to the gas
gauge, set the lowest indicator level for the LM3914 to 128 mV
and the highest indicator level to 1280 mV.
Which also means that there are ten indicator levels on five leds.
Off, half brightness, full brightness.
I also decreased the led drive current of the LM3914 to approx.
5 mA per output. There is only one difficulty left and that's the
construction, everything that is connected to ground should be
connected directly to one single point.

on1aag.

Attachments

• LM 317 current source.GIF
    LM 317 current source.GIF
    7.2 KB · Views: 458
  • LM 3914 gas gauge display.GIF
    LM 3914 gas gauge display.GIF
    9.2 KB · Views: 873
browningbuck said:
this is what i have so far.... i dont think it will EVER work in Bar mode due to the theory behind it, so i think i might need to start from scratch...and i want to do it with a photoresistor and 6 leds. let me know if you can help....GOD you guys are BAD A$$ SOBs wiht this stuff and i thank you for everything.

Brian

I Already Told you it Won;t work in Bar Mode the way I did it. But I can fix that if you give me a bit of time.

Too many things to do all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back