Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help- Looking for a 1K Resistor Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDoug

Hi,

I am looking for a 1K OHM resistor array. I know very little about electronics but am trying to learn more, so correct me if I use the wrong terms.

The resistor goes to a control board on my Dewalt DCS355 oscillating tool. I was trying to make another repair on it and I had to take the circuit board out and I happened to chip part of the resistor. Anybody have a source for something equivalent? I've tried looking but don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

The number 102 is printed on top of the resistor. I looked up how to read the codes and that is how I figured it was 1K ohms.

I also measured the size and it is: L=1.994mm x W=1.054mm

I tried to measure the resistance according to the data sheet of a similar part online and I got 2.98 kilo ohms on R1 & R4 and nearly 1 kilo ohm on R2 & R3.

Thanks for help in advance.

Attached is a photo

Attachments

• IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
The pin spacing is what matters.

Did you search digikey?

You'll need to figure out what kind of array it is. Some are just isolated resistors in one package and others divideres or some other kind of network.

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/resistors/resistor-networks-arrays/50?k=resistor+array&k=&pkeyword=resistor+array&pv1=2358&sf=0&FV=ffe00032,1f140000&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=500

To figure out what kind of array it is, you need to measure the resistance between each pin and every other pin, and you would probably need to do it out of circuit.

How badly is it chipped?

Last edited:
The pin spacing is what matters.

Did you search digikey?

You'll need to figure out what kind of array it is. Some are just isolated resistors in one package and others divideres or some other kind of network.

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/resistors/resistor-networks-arrays/50?k=resistor+array&k=&pkeyword=resistor+array&pv1=2358&sf=0&FV=ffe00032,1f140000&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=500

To figure out what kind of array it is, you need to measure the resistance between each pin and every other pin, and you would probably need to do it out of circuit.

How badly is it chipped?

I've done some digging the past several days, but haven't come up with much. Even started another thread on another electronics forum.

I did take the damaged resistor out to try and measure it but the leads in my meter are a little too big.

How bad is is damaged?
I completely chipped one of the solder joints off on one of the 8 pins.

Here is what someone else pointed me to but the sizing is a little too big.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=sGAEpiMZZMvrmc6UYKmaNTbC2fpwzR6wvv0jqxzd7SI=

Yeah you need some needle points to measure that thing, but without those measurements.

Normally, I would say that since 102 is written right on top that it probably is just for four independent 1K resistors. But the fact you're measuring different resistances means that they are probably in some kind of network. If you got those measurements in-circuit though, it doesn't mean anything since other components in the circuit will be interferring with the measurement...unless you measured two pins on opposite sides of the chip that had no traces going to them. If that was R2 and R3, then chances are better they are just independent resistors.

Scotch tape some sewing needles to your meter probes.

Yes.
1) An eight pin package can be four discreet, unconnected resistors.
2) Or it can be seven resistors with one end all connected together and brought out on one pin.
3) There are other possibilities, but those are rare.

Yes.
1) An eight pin package can be four discreet, unconnected resistors.
2) Or it can be seven resistors with one end all connected together and brought out on one pin.
3) There are other possibilities, but those are rare.

Thanks that helps clear things up a little bit.

What are some common networks I should be looking for?

I guess I can just try the different configurations on the datasheeets on the handful of resistors I filtered on Digi Key?

So when I remove another resistor on my board just like the damaged one, what should I be measuring? 1K ohms?

Thanks that helps clear things up a little bit.

What are some common networks I should be looking for?

I guess I can just try the different configurations on the datasheeets on the handful of resistors I filtered on Digi Key?

So when I remove another resistor on my board just like the damaged one, what should I be measuring? 1K ohms?

If you search on the Digikey site for: RESISTOR ARRAY, one of the filters will be CIRCUIT TYPE. That gives all the options for resistor networks available.

If you search on the Digikey site for: RESISTOR ARRAY, one of the filters will be CIRCUIT TYPE. That gives all the options for resistor networks available.

The only circuit type that comes up with the resistor dimensions and other filters is "isolated"

Some pictures of some types of networks:

Attachments

• IMG_3214.PNG
    IMG_3214.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3215.GIF
    IMG_3215.GIF
    3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3216.PNG
    IMG_3216.PNG
    130.5 KB · Views: 111
The resistor array is definitely isolated. I took one off that wasn't damaged and was able the read 1K ohms measuring the pins from side to side.

Anybody have any brand preferences? Looks like it's either Vishay or Panasonic.

Attachments

• IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
Resi
The resistor array is definitely isolated. I took one off that wasn't damaged and was able the read 1K ohms measuring the pins from side to side.

Anybody have any brand preferences? Looks like it's either Vishay or Panasonic.

Resistors is resistors

Thanks to all the commented. My part should be in tomorrow. Ended up ordering from Arrow.com and somehow got free overnight shipping. I ordered both Vishay and Panasonic and got extras in case I drop one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back