Help in VHDL cooding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mus3na

My first problems is:

Ok i am doing some VHDL code. right now i have 2 VHDL source which is functioning as it suppose. now i like to combine booth, but i dont want combine it in one source file. What i like to do is to create third source file, than when ever i need that function i just call it. for example:

1) ADDER.VHDL
2) MULTIPLIER.VHDL
3) TOP_SOURCE.VHDL

so in top_source.vhdl, if i need adder operation i just call adder.VHDL to perform the operation. if i not misunderstand it will used port mapping to transfer data to subprogram and from sub program. it like subroutine in C or any other programming language.

can somebody show me how to o this or provide me with an example or website that have the solution to the problems.

My second problems is:

how to crate behaviour to do set 1 operation first than followed by set 2 when set 1 program finished. if in C or any other language, instruction executed line by line. but in VHDL it being executed all at the same time. How can i crate a code let say will add 2 number first than subtract with something and all code written in same process under same behaviour. If cannot! what is the best way to do that.

I thank you in advance.

Thanks, i will search all my book for how to convert the code to be component. by the way! if you have a good example, please share it wth me.

for second, i thought there must be other ways to run from state machine! since i preaty weak at this, well, look like i have to faced it.

Thanks

Component:

entity XX is
port(....);
end XX;

architecture XXX of XX is
End XXX;

Main Prog:

entity YY is
port(...
local_s1: out std_logic
);
end YY;

archtecture YYY of YY is
Component XX
port(..The same of the original...);

U1:XX
port map(... --map signals to loacl signals.
for ex:
sig1=>local_s1;
};

State Machine
type States is(Idle,st1,st2);
Signal CS:States;
begin
process(Clk,CS)
begin
if rising_edge(CLK) then
case cs is
when IDLE =>
cs<=ST1;
when ST1=>
cs<=st2;
when st2=>
cs<=IDLE;
when others=>
cs<=idle;
end case;
end if;

end process;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…