Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in VHDL cooding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mus3na

My first problems is:

Ok i am doing some VHDL code. right now i have 2 VHDL source which is functioning as it suppose. now i like to combine booth, but i dont want combine it in one source file. What i like to do is to create third source file, than when ever i need that function i just call it. for example:

1) ADDER.VHDL
2) MULTIPLIER.VHDL
3) TOP_SOURCE.VHDL

so in top_source.vhdl, if i need adder operation i just call adder.VHDL to perform the operation. if i not misunderstand it will used port mapping to transfer data to subprogram and from sub program. it like subroutine in C or any other programming language.

can somebody show me how to o this or provide me with an example or website that have the solution to the problems.

My second problems is:

how to crate behaviour to do set 1 operation first than followed by set 2 when set 1 program finished. if in C or any other language, instruction executed line by line. but in VHDL it being executed all at the same time. How can i crate a code let say will add 2 number first than subtract with something and all code written in same process under same behaviour. If cannot! what is the best way to do that.

I thank you in advance.

Thanks, i will search all my book for how to convert the code to be component. by the way! if you have a good example, please share it wth me.

for second, i thought there must be other ways to run from state machine! since i preaty weak at this, well, look like i have to faced it.

Thanks

Component:

entity XX is
port(....);
end XX;

architecture XXX of XX is
End XXX;

Main Prog:

entity YY is
port(...
local_s1: out std_logic
);
end YY;

archtecture YYY of YY is
Component XX
port(..The same of the original...);

U1:XX
port map(... --map signals to loacl signals.
for ex:
sig1=>local_s1;
};

State Machine
type States is(Idle,st1,st2);
Signal CS:States;
begin
process(Clk,CS)
begin
if rising_edge(CLK) then
case cs is
when IDLE =>