Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying opposing connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is one of these :- https://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/1-1670916-1/housing-rcpt-mcon-1-2-contact/dp/2468582

That is has 4 mm spacing on the pins. The Superseal ones are 5 mm between pins. It's difficult to see the size from the photos.

I would agree that salvage yards would be a good place to get one. That is a battery monitoring system sensor, and many makes of car will use the same sensor, and therefore the same connector. The same connector will be used in loads of places in the car.

Looks more like a Delphi Weatherpac connector to me. We sold them to Volvo when I was still working there. That type of connector has a lot of "look a likes", but they don't interchange, due to the different type of "keying" on them By keying it means different slots, square or round corners, etc.

I updated the pictures so you can see the measurements and the keying better. it's for a battery monitor sensor (BMS) from a 2nd generation Volvo S60 T5. it looks like the dimensions are about 1.1mm x 0.7mm Inside Diameter with an outside barrel length of 1.6mm, and I just measured the depth of the connector's opening (no picture) by bottoming out a small allen wrench, and it actually came to 1.8mm, so it appears it goes slightly deeper into the sensor than the exposed connector housing would indicate.

I don't think it is the Delphi Weatherpac from looking at photos of the keying. Those TE connectors you guys posted also don't seem to have the right keying and dimensions.

I don't think it is the Delphi Weatherpac from looking at photos of the keying

I was wrong calling it "weatherpack" should have said Metripack. Since the weatherpack was first out, internally we called the ma by that name on the shop floor. Here is a metripack -
1605109941962.png

There are so many versions you need to figure out which you have.

just looked through the metripack website. the keying doesn't match anything on there.

i was at the self service junkyard yesterday. no volvos new enough to have the same battery sensor monitor. the non-self service yards sell all the wiring for scrap copper as they harvest the major components.

just looked through the metripack website. the keying doesn't match anything on there.

i was at the self service junkyard yesterday. no volvos new enough to have the same battery sensor monitor. the non-self service yards sell all the wiring for scrap copper as they harvest the major components.
Have a look at newish cars from other manufacturers. Battery monitoring systems sensors like that aren't made by Volvo, they will be from Hella or Bosch or someone like that, and they will use the same connector for several makes of car.

You could also buy a connector of the correct range, and cut it so that it's keying matches what you need to connect it to.

On the theme of bits for cars coming from component manufacturers, I recently changed the transmission fluid on a Jaguar. I found online videos, but the gearbox was nothing like the ones shown. Then I found that the gearbox was made by Aisin, and I found a video on how to change the transmission fluid in a Volvo with an Aisin gearbox. That was far closer to what I had to do than the videos for the Jaguar.

hmm...yeah, if i could figure out a way to determine what other makes have the same BMS, that might be the ticket. i don't have the machining equipment or shop to do a serviceable job re-keying a connector. my last resort move is to cut the BMS connector housing away and just use butt connectors on the pins to join wires and run them where they need to go. hate to cut a brand new expensive part up, tho.

I think that modern Jaguars and Landrovers have BMS like that.

You don't need a machine shop. A sharp knife will cut the housings. If you're buying the housings, they probably come in 5s, but the unit cost is tiny so get some spares.

modern, especially jags and LRs, is what they don't have at the self service yards. it would have to be a cheaper brand where someone is more likely to scrap it than repair it.

2012 S60 T5 FWD made in Belgium w/ L.H.D., no stop/start

there is one volvo model from 2009 that has it, but cars of any kind from within the last decade are rare in our u pull yards, let alone volvos.

Yeah that does look like it has potential. How did you come across that?
I've bought from Deytrade before. They can be really cheap, and with a €5.95 delivery it's a good deal for all but the smallest quantities. For instance a Tyco 282090-1 is €0.76 from them, in 1 off, while the cheapest of RS, Farnell, Mouser and Digikey is £2.47 or about €2.75

Deytrade have a range of connectors already fitted with short wires, which is expensive but makes thing really easy if you don't have the right crimp tool.

Unfortunately for you, they don't seem to be happy to use normal post to the USA at the moment, so it's UPS and $35 ish only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back