Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for my fried treadmill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jchung

Help! I mistakenly took my US treadmill (Vision Fitness T9600HRT) to the UK while I was on a long term business assignment. I plugged it into a UK transformer, but I must have plugged into the 220V slot instead of the 110V US slot, and I think that must have fried the circuit board and / or motor.

I am now back in the US, and the repair guy tells me that he has to order the parts ($350 for the circuit board; another $350 for the motor; $150 for a service call). He tells me that the parts are non-refundable once ordered, but since I don't know which part(s) need replacement, I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone give me any advice on how I might diagnose which part(s) need replacement or do I have to just throw caution to the wind and order both parts and take my chances?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It is more likely that the motor survived than the "circuit board". Look closely at the motor windings to see if they are burnt and sniff them too.
The shipping on a PCB will be relatively cheap, but a motor is a heavy item and will cost more to ship.

Could just go for a walk outside. Its still free isint it? the view is way better too!

Help! I mistakenly took my US treadmill (Vision Fitness T9600HRT) to the UK while I was on a long term business assignment. I plugged it into a UK transformer, but I must have plugged into the 220V slot instead of the 110V US slot, and I think that must have fried the circuit board and / or motor.

I am now back in the US, and the repair guy tells me that he has to order the parts ($350 for the circuit board; another $350 for the motor; $150 for a service call). He tells me that the parts are non-refundable once ordered, but since I don't know which part(s) need replacement, I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone give me any advice on how I might diagnose which part(s) need replacement or do I have to just throw caution to the wind and order both parts and take my chances?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm a little (no a lot) disappointed in your repair guy. So he can't troubleshoot and isolate the problem down to a repairable component or at least a possible single module. So he wants you tell him which of the possible bad parts you want him to order and by the way if you end up not needing some of the new modules/parts there are not returnable for a refund. I'm sorry but your repair guy is either incompetent or shady, I wonder does he buy parts at wholesale and get to charge you retail?

For years there were complaints in the auto repair biz because customers were suspecting they were being charged for parts that didn't need replacement. So state laws were passed where they have to give you all the bad parts replaced and state inspectors sometimes bring in cars with known problems, pretending to be normal customers to see if the repair is proper and reasonable.

Sorry for your delima, if you could somehow find links to drawings and spec sheets for the modules and unit we could possibly help with some troubleshooting ideas but that is probably not possible I bet.

Lefty

Last edited:
Thanks to those of you who replied. Here is where I am -- I can't seem to locate any fuse to the treadmill. For what it's worth, the display still lights up and the keys on the display seem to work, so I would guess that the circuit board is not blown (?) but this is just a guess. The display showing the speed can be increased, but no turn on the treadmill itself.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to test either or both the motor and circuit board?

I can't seem to locate any fuse to the treadmill.
the display still lights up
the keys on the display seem to work
The display showing the speed can be increased,
but no turn on the treadmill itself.
Most of us speak Schematic, some with an accent; please post one.:p

As Lefty said
Sorry for your delima, if you could somehow find links to drawings and spec sheets for the modules and unit we could possibly help with some troubleshooting ideas but that is probably not possible I bet.

I would talk to the factory support people and see if they can recommend another repair tech. Ask if they have a board exchange program. Maybe even a service manual. All are worth a try.

3v0

Here are some links to surf through before you go spending $$$ on repairs.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed** offers detailed troubleshooting tips (located on left side of page)

From what I've seen on the Internet on what your treadmill cost new, I'm very satisfied to know my treadmill investment was under $15. It was discarded at curbside when I chanced upon it. It looked to be in good condition and a note attached to it said "FREE - needs repaired". So I took a chance on it and all that needed done was to re-anchor the rear belt roller, replace a sensor magnet, and replace the main power switch. Works great, has all the usual bells & whistles features plus a neoprene cushioned deck. :D

Hi Tech has it

HiTech,

Thank you for your post and the links to the two sites. I took the advice from one of the sites and used my battery from my cordless drill to isolate the motor and see if it was in working order. It worked like a charm and the motor ran forwards and backwards, depending on which wire I hooked to negative / positive.

I assume that this means that the circuit board is the culprit here; however, one thing which I don't quite understand is that parts of the machine, which I assume are controlled by the circuit board are still working -- the elevation seems to be in fine working order and moves up and down as I change the display. Since I am a non-techie, I thought I would ask the question -- is it possible that only certain parts of the board are fried?

It will probably be cheaper to make a DC speed control ckt. for your working DC motor than to repair a controller without a schematic, if you don't mind having a control pot hanging off your treadmill somewhere.
We'd need motor specs, though. Does the motor have a nameplate?

HiTech,
I assume that this means that the circuit board is the culprit here; however, one thing which I don't quite understand is that parts of the machine, which I assume are controlled by the circuit board are still working -- the elevation seems to be in fine working order and moves up and down as I change the display. Since I am a non-techie, I thought I would ask the question -- is it possible that only certain parts of the board are fried?
A vast majority of those motor controller boards (mounted near the main motor) are powered directly from the AC line without any stepdown transformer. Many of them are almost the same design with a few slight differences. Try eBay since often there are many of them to be found there for cheap -- mine was listed for $60. treadmill parts, Sporting Goods, treadmill items on eBay.com

Many of the boards resemble this layout, perhaps yours is similar?

Attachments

• x2%20circuit%20board%20replacement%201_640x480.jpg
    x2%20circuit%20board%20replacement%201_640x480.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 609
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back