Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP:Follow me computer guided exercise workout

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanbaz

HeY All,

I was just wondering if there was anybody out there who would be able 2 give me some much need HELP :cry: with a design project that I'm currently doing. The project basically is:

Follow me- a computer guided exercise workout. The project is meant 2 deliver a system which consists of a computer & plug-in device with sensors (to be designed & built). The system will (i) display instructions consisting of a few predesigned exercise routines, (ii) measure the user's movements using sensors, (iii) asses performance by matching users movments with instructions given.

As you can see its a pretty full on project, I know therez alot of programming involved but I really need some HELP as 2 where to start, wat kinda sensors should I be using ? and how would I be able to establish the connection between the computer and the sensors ? wat kind of programming language should I use ? things like that ! If anybody knows anything with regards 2 these topics I would greatly appreciate ur input and help :D or if u could give me some kindda starting point to approaching this project cuz I'm really LOST and finding it exremly hard to implement !

Thanx alot in advance :)

It sounds like this project might be too much to start out with, there are too many things to do and learn.

Connection to computer could be serial, parallel, USB, and etc. Sensory could be reflective to a camera, acceleration MEMS sensors.. I recommend machine vision. Setup is fairly simple and processing isn't too extensive.

Language... I am not too sure on programming..

Sorry I couldn't help anymore, but this is a really complex project and couldn't be covered in 100 posts.

Steve

thx Steve 4 ur input !

umm.....would u happen 2 know any good websites where I would be able 2 find info with regards 2 this prject ? or know of any similar kind of project ? my probelm is basically just understanding how 2 program the sensors in detecting human movement....and then that movement being transfered 2 the computer ! would infrared sensors be good 2 use in this case ? ahh...I don't know have NO idea :cry:

Well anywayzz, if anybody could give me some good websites where I'd be able 2 find realted info that would be GREAT !

Thanx

As I said, the easiest way would be to use reflective sensors and capture the image with a camera, then process the points where the reflectors are attached. You will need to grab a frame, scan for these points, and process it. This will not work for anything the camera cannot see.

I suggest this method because of its simplicity, and because of it being cost effective for people who have webcams and etc. There would be some compatibility issues, but I am not sure about that sort of thing.

You can use tri-axis accelerometers, which can detect fairly accurately motion in all directions. This could accurately model movements...

You need to ask yourself, do the ends justify the means? This sort of thing is a major headache, but if you feel that there is a lot of worth doing this, then I guess it will give you enough drive to invest your time and money into it.

Steve

Scuba's thoughts are similar to my own. It sounds like there is a lot of work that needs to be done before you can proceed. What it is that you want to measure will determine the sensor(s) and what you'll do with the information once you get it will impact software hardware, etc. What you can afford plays a big part too.

The way to eat and elephant is one bite at a time. The way to handle this elephant is to break the problem down, one bite at a time, until you've got manageable parts to work on. Data acquisition might be one of several parts that can be managed.

Stepping back for a bit - what you've described has been done but by people who spent a lot of money on research and development on a rather large undertaking so that they can sell what they've learned in the form of information or products. You might find help by looking for info including keywords like "exercise physiology" "physical therapy" "sports training" "biomechanics" and the like.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back