Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help fix sterio receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Goodberlet

while listening to sterio receiver yamaha rx-v661 the receiver went dead. Electronic technition did a evaluation and thought it was one whole channell that went out. I was told it would be expensive to repair, so I thought I would try to repair it myself. I enjoy working with electronics, but I have no experience. Could you please help. Thank you ahead.

Last edited:
Electronic technition did a evaluation and thought it was one whole channell that went out.
I hope you didn't pay that so-called electronic technician for his brilliant diagnosis!
Now, you may enjoy electronics, but if you have little to no servicing experience, you are very likely to make things worse, including wasting your time and money. A talented and experience tech "may" be able to repair it without service literature, however you may very well need that to guide yourself with the repair.... more money spent! If this stereo is of sentimental value to you then I'd recommend paying a qualified servicer to repair it for you. They should guarantee their work for a stated period of time, should it go bad again .... meaning you don't have to sit yourself down at the workbench again and spend more money! If it's not of any sentimental value, toss it out and buy something new or used, in good working condition. This is my honest advice to you.

Receivers are so cheap these days I don't know why anybody would fix one. Back when I was a real hi-fi nut in the 60's (and dinosaurs roamed the earth) I think I paid $300 for an Akai 60W/channel stereo receiver which was top of the line. In today's dollars that would probably be like $800. Today I see five channel receivers with 300W power for sale for maybe $250. Electronics are so cheap there's no money in fixing them anymore.

The yamaha rx-v661 is an A/V receiver (with HDMI) going for over $500. I can understand the OP's reluctance to trash it. If it still carries the Yamaha 5-year warranty, it might be a matter of finding an "authorized repair center". Given the features, imo it can't possibly be over 5 years old.

He hasn't responded to our comments, so perhaps the deed is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back