Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help finding missing component values

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

on the attached pic of an ignition coil driver R and C need to be determined so that the inductive kick will be below the maximum safe voltage of about 400V for a IRF740 MOSFET. The frequency wont be fixed at 300hz as in the example. my question is, what would be some good starting values for R and C. how would i go about calculating these? i know it says to experiment, but im looking for a ball park value to start with. Thanks

i actually have 3 ignition coils here are primary specs if you need it:

1) 6.7mH 1.5Ohm
2)5.9mH .8Ohm
3)6.8mH 1.5Ohm

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 345
Are you trying to drive a spark plug? If so, then when the air in the spark gap ionizes the impedance of arc coupled from coil secondary to the primary does a good job of clamping the peak voltage on the primary. Have you ever looked at the voltage across a magneto or point type ignition with a 'scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back