Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help changing a 12VDC switching supply to a 48VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofeedad

I have been told that it's not worth the effort. I need 48VDC at a high amperage, about 3A or higher from a standard household outlet. I have found several SPS (switching power supplies) that cab do the amperage but not at a voltage higher than 12VDC. What I suggest is to change an existing power supplies components to achieve my 48VDC.

I am doing this in hopes that I can obtain a type of "Switching AC-to-DC Power Supply". Dispite the many posts I have recieved whether this type of power supply is isolated or not, the general concensus from several "tech support teams" is that it is isolated. So my aim is to eventually make a SPS that can handle 48V at 3A(min).

I realize, in the long run I would be better off outsourcing an engineer to design what I need but, right now I'm trying to build a prototype. Rest assured if this is something that no one wants to tackle or have inout in, I will stick with my transformer model that I have (thanks all for the help) and at a later date pay to have this done, if it is even possible.

48VDC Power Supplies - powersupplydirect.com

Buying one is going to be so much easier in the long run. There is no guarantee you could even modify a 12v SMPS to 48v. Would depend on if the control circuitry runs off it's on regulated supply or not.

SMPS supplies come in many forms of isolation. Some are not at all, others are completely isolated including all control circuitry. Some are halfway in between.

48VDC Power Supplies - powersupplydirect.com

Buying one is going to be so much easier in the long run. There is no guarantee you could even modify a 12v SMPS to 48v. Would depend on if the control circuitry runs off it's on regulated supply or not.

SMPS supplies come in many forms of isolation. Some are not at all, others are completely isolated including all control circuitry. Some are halfway in between.

Thanks. I checked out the site you recommended. I think this might be a site that I use in the future. I liked the size and the pricing. Looks very clean and professional.

Just so you know, I have never bought from them. Just found them through google and they seemed to have a good selection and decent prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back