Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello, Newbie From Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

CircuitCurious

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm an Engineering student, but I've always had great interest in building circuitry and electrical projects.

I've had some experience with building an automated bridge with sensors, mechanics, code and autonomous functionality, but I found the course project to be narrow in regards to my interests.

I'm just starting out with electronics as a hobby, so I'm hoping to get some of those essential basic supplies. I've also picked up my Physics textbook to brush up on some of the theory with circuits. Although I am struggling to find a multimeter that I want.

I have a few projects planned, including recharging non-rechargeable batteries. Building my own alarm clock, setting up some home made light sensors for dark parts of the crawl space, setting up some trespassing sensors in the backyard, and hopefully, some solar panels on the roof this summer.

I think my projects are fairly simple and modest. I want to do this for both fun and practicality, as well as experience and resume building.

I'm looking forward to learning more from the knowledgeable people on this forum!

I don't think you can recharge non-rechargable batteries. But anyway, welcome :)

Thanks for the welcome.

I've actually read from several sources that recharging non-rechargeable batteries works fine.

**broken link removed**

Could anybody suggest a multimeter? I've heard that Fluke is extremely reliable. I'm willing to spend about $150-$200 CAD max. I'd like something safe, so I don't blow fuses and wreak the multimeter or any circuits.

Thanks again.

Fluke is an excellent brand. You really cant go wrong with a Fluke. Unless you buy a model that is not made for your intended purpose.

I would also like to say DO NOT USE the linked circuit to "recharge, non-rechargeable" batteries.

There is a reason why this "possibility" is going around.

Rechargeable alkaline are now on the market. In order to save money in tooling changes, recipe changes, etc.. Many BRAND NAME companies are using the same process in their "marked as standard" alkaline as in their rechargeable alkaline.
In those cases you CAN recharge the battery. But that is because it IS A RECHARGEABLE BATTERY. Just in sheep's clothing.

Look into how to test for what version you have before attempting to charge batteries that are not LABELED as re-chargeable.

And again, dont use that circuit for battery charging.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Why on earth would someone want to put thierselves in danger when perfectly good rechargable batteries are available? The risk isnt' worth the few extra pennies you spend to buy quality recharabable batteries and inexpensive chargers.

Last edited:
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Why on earth would someone want to put thierselves in danger when perfectly good rechargable batteries are available? The risk isnt' worth the few extra pennies you spend to buy quality recharabable batteries and inexpensive chargers.

agreed. For the price, there is no need to attempt such a foolish circuit and risk a Li explosion, or burning your home to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back