Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heat Sink for IRF460 mosfet needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I don't know names of any company selling heat sinks and not finding it on ebay. I need something about 2" x 2" square?

100_1914.JPG

100_1915.JPG

Last edited:
search term "thermal management"
https://www.mouser.com/Thermal-Management/_/N-5gfs

edit: BTW, some companies that carry supplies and parts for electronics:
in the US:
Mouser.com
Newark.com
MCM (a part of newark)
Digikey.com

in europe:
Farnell.com

Last edited:
This idea is not working. Digikey won't show me heat sinks it keeps asking for part numbers.

Mouser shows 5246 heat sinks nothing close to what I need. Search for mosfet heat sinks shows nothing.

I have no clue how to zero in on the target mosfet heat sinks.

100_1930.JPG

I have no clue how to zero in on the target mosfet heat sinks.
There's no such thing - a heatsink is a heatsink - nothing to do with mosfets.

Just input 'heatsinks' in your chosen companies website, and select the list of heatsinks.

This one is RS Components, from the left hand side you can filter on numerous criteria.

And here filtered for BIG ones :D

Temporary solved problem. All 4 heat sinks are 2" square but they are all different. Soon as I test the circuit I learn how hot mosfets get. Maybe mosfets need to be larger. I also have liquid cooling for a pump and HV transformer oil if needed. I have boxes of heat sinks the trick is finding what works. I need some of those insulator pads under the mosfets for liquid cooling. I also have several aluminum bars I can make any, size, shape, design, heat sink I want but its more work than I want.

100_1947.JPG

100_1956.JPG

m3.jpg

Last edited:
Your heatsinks should be enough, depending on how much current the MOSFETs handle, and as long as the gate voltage is 10V or more (for full "on" state). The RDSon of around 0.3 ohms requires at least 10V on the gate relative to Source. At 10A current, heat generated will be about 30W, that's a lot.
We don't know those numbers, so hard to guess the actual amount of heatsinking required. Also, it may be worthwhile to use small fans blowing on the heatsinks to help dissipate the heat.
At a 500V rating, is that actually required? Lower voltage MOSFETs will usually have a lower RDSon and thus less heat generated.

Your heatsinks should be enough, depending on how much current the MOSFETs handle, and as long as the gate voltage is 10V or more (for full "on" state). The RDSon of around 0.3 ohms requires at least 10V on the gate relative to Source. At 10A current, heat generated will be about 30W, that's a lot.
We don't know those numbers, so hard to guess the actual amount of heatsinking required. Also, it may be worthwhile to use small fans blowing on the heatsinks to help dissipate the heat.
At a 500V rating, is that actually required? Lower voltage MOSFETs will usually have a lower RDSon and thus less heat generated.

My target is 1500 watts. I was getting 900 watts from the other P55NF06L mosfets. 15a 100v will give me 1500w with IRF460 mosfets but I don't like having the voltage that high 100v seems dangerous. 40v 50a would be good = 2000w. This H circuit is different it might work better and not need to be 1500w to get what I want. This is a cool learning project. The H circuit should generate less heat and 900w could be better than the other circuit with 2 mosfets at 900w. Nice thing about P55NF06L mosfets data sheet says .015 ohms 60v 50a. they could still be the best choice of mosfets.

Last edited:
I don't think that will solve your heating problem. First of all, they are rated at 55A (60A depending on which vendor datasheet you look at). Passing 50A is equal to 50*50*0.018ohms = 45W heat dissipation with worst case RDSon. Even with 0,014 ohms, it is still 35W. You still need a big heatsink. Also, that 55A rating is at 25C. Once it warms up, the current rating is 39A at 100C. Thus, passing 50A when they are already hot may destroy those MOSFETs as well. Also, watch out for the gate voltage on those P55NF60L, the maximum is 16V, not the typical 20V most MOSFETs have.

I was going to use IRF460 with 180vdc but now I think that HV is too dangerous. The P55NF06L blow at 35a.

Last edited:
go to the thrift store and get a "beater" AV receiver like an old sony, pioneer, yamaha or something (as long as it has transistors for output devices).... the one large heat sink in one of these should be more than enough for your needs...

and if the mosfets have a metal pad in their back, make sure you use thermal pads and WHITE heat sink grease (the silver stuff is electrically conductive, and you don't want that). the metal pad is connected to the drain of the mosfet.

Last edited:
edit: deleted and consolidated to previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back