Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heat sink for 1GBT CM600HA-24H

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I am still trying to decide what type heat sink to use on a 1GBT = CM600HA-24H ?

The first experimental power supply will be 170 VDC 15A

You need a large flat-faced heatsink, then drill & tap at the fixing hole positions (or drill through if there is clearance behind for nuts).

Unfortunately that module is not a standard fixing size, so the captive nut slots in normal 80mm fixing module heatsinks will not line up.

These are a common style, we use them: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsinks/0410416/
Or a bit bigger one: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsinks/0402383/

If you have any large finned heatsink with a big enough flat face, you can drill through or drill and tap the hole positions and try that.

Search "large heatsink" on ebay as well - there is one of those P3 types at half the RS price, or a lot of large finned ones with a flat side.
eg.
**broken link removed**

Those P3 style ones have slots in the sides so you can add an aluminium or plastic panel over the top of the fins to make them ducts, for using forced-air cooling with a fan on the end of the heatsink.

Or these possibly:
**broken link removed**

I am still trying to decide what type heat sink to use on a 1GBT = CM600HA-24H ?
The first experimental power supply will be 170 VDC 15A
There is too little information here to say what heatsink to use.
In a switching power supply the heatsinks are very small. In a linear supply the heatsinks are large.
How is the supply powered? From 220vac?
We need to know how much power will be load in the IGBT. (170V+ ?) X 15A = too much for a linear supply, Try adding a fan or use a switching supply.
Maybe you should start with a smaller supply.

I though there would be a factory made heat sink for this part and someone would have a picture.

First test power supply will plug into a outlet 120 vac after rectifier and filter = 170 vdc on a 15 amp circuit braker.

Last edited:
I though there would be a factory made heat sink for this part and someone would have a picture.
I have never seen any for that specific size of module.

These are two bits of junk that use (Or used) modules with similar style mountings to yours - one a generic extrusion with holes drilled by the equipment maker, the other is a custom die-cast heatsink plus chassis..

IMG_9624.JPGIMG_9626.JPG

There is a common standard for encapsulated thyristors and IGBTs etc. but that is based on 80m hole centres.

We use those for out poly welding controllers, built on a generic P33 style module heatsink as I mentioned previously:

heatseal.jpg

If you had been in the UK I could have sent you one of those heatsinks that's got bit of cosmetic damage for the cost of postage, but sending to the USA would cost more than a new one..

First test power supply will plug into a outlet 120 vac after rectifier and filter = 170 vdc on a 15 amp circuit braker.
Which is about like saying "my car is red, what type of oil should I use?"

A heatsink is chosen mostly upon how much heat it needs to dissipate from the package.
So, if you don't know that the we'll need enough info to derive that. At the very least a schematic of the power supply and the output power.

What is a switching power supply and how does it work?

Here is my power supply circuit drawing.

This is my diode part numbers. 7425 A672334 and 7437 A672259. I can't find a datasheet anymore the one I read long ago said 250 amps 600 volt. Some are reverse polarity, NP & PN.

I have several boxes of 74,000. MFD capacitors.

Last edited:
What is a switching power supply and how does it work?
Try this link: Switcher
In your linear supply; Vin=170vdc, Vout=70V at 10A, The output power is 700 watts. The power lost in heat is 100V x 10A =1000 watts. You need a large heatsink and probably a fan to keep it cool.
If it was a switching supply; Vin=170, Vout=70 at 10A, The output is 700 watts. The IGBT is switched on/off/on/off. The power lost in the transistor (IGBT) is 1V x 10A = 10 watts when the transistor is on and 170V x 0A = 0 watts when the transistor is off. A filter averages the ON/OFF to make dc.

Gary, trying your hand at DRSSTCs now?

I have no clue what DRSSTCs is?
Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla Coil. It's a very popular use for the CM300 and CM600 series IGBTs.

Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla Coil. It's a very popular use for the CM300 and CM600 series IGBTs.

Been there, done that. I am finished with Tesla coils. I sold all 6 of mine and all the parts. My big 10" 12KW TC that made a 27 ft diameter circle of arcs & sparks went to a university. OK shortbus I was NOT the one that changed the subject. EIEIO

Last edited:
Been there, done that. I am finished with Tesla coils. I sold all 6 of mine and all the parts. My big 10" 12KW TC that made a 27 ft diameter circle of arcs & sparks went to a university. OK shortbus I was NOT the one that changed the subject. EIEIO
View attachment 120205
That's why I asked if you were trying your hand at DRSSTCs now, since you'd built SGTCs already.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. My apologies for the tangent!

That's why I asked if you were trying your hand at DRSSTCs now, since you'd built SGTCs already.

Its been 15 years since I did Tesla Coils I don't even remember what SGTC is? It was a lot of fun I sometime wish I had a TC to play with.

LOL. I'm not complaining shortbus= is the complainer. Do threads not wonder from time to time.

LOL. I'm not complaining shortbus= is the complainer. Do threads not wonder from time to time.
FWIW, I don't see shortbus= as a 'complainer', he is more like one of a number of spectators, watching (unfortunately) someone flailing around in a pool. Life rings are being tossed in from every direction, but the swimmer appears to not want to grab any of them.

That's my view on this, and a number of other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back