Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heat Shrink Tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

How the heck do i select a heat shrink tubing size for a wire ? Do i simply get the wire diameter and find a heat shrink based on that size?

Is there another way? I want to buy from mouser.com but want to make sure i dont order the wrong pieces heh

So is is simply getting the diameter for a gauge and using that number?

Some wire sizes i use... These are DIAMETER IN INCHES AND MM
Code:
AWG     IN      MM
------------------------
20 	0.032 	0.8128 
21 	0.0285 	0.7239 
22 	0.0254 	0.64516
23 	0.0226 	0.57404
24 	0.0201 	0.51054
25 	0.0179 	0.45466
26 	0.0159 	0.40386
27 	0.0142 	0.36068
28 	0.0126 	0.32004
29 	0.0113 	0.28702
30 	0.01 	0.254

Also how do i pick the right ratio ?

I read:

"Tubing with a two-to-one shrink ratio, for example, will shrink to half its original size. One that has a six-to-one shrink ration will shrink to one-sixth its original size."
So the higher the ratio the more it will shrink?

Last edited:
Hi mate,

I just got some 19mm diameter 6 to 1 HS from Rapid and it does do what it says. I cut a short piece and heated it and it shrank to about 3mm internal but what I hadn't realised is that the wall thickness is multiplied by 6 so you end up with a piece of rubber with a 3mm hole that is about 12mm outside diameter and WILL NOT bend. hehehe

The moral is stick with the 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 at most mate.

Al

Hi mate,

Looks about right but before you buy check ebay and also check the chinese sellers on the web. I bought a load of HS tubing from china a couple of years ago and it was really cheap plus free shipping.

Al

Atom: I would recommend an assortment of several sizes up to 1/2 inch. That covers everything from telephone wires to microphone cables to strain relief for power cords, and good to do it in the winter so it doesn't shrink in the delivery truck!

big al: glad to find out you aren't really a bi-gal :D
LOL!

Atom: I would recommend an assortment of several sizes up to 1/2 inch. That covers everything from telephone wires to microphone cables to strain relief for power cords, and good to do it in the winter so it doesn't shrink in the delivery truck!

big al: glad to find out you aren't really a bi-gal :D

Hi mate, well I thought I knew who I was but maybe Bill knows different hehehe, see thread https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/hello-everyone.114501/ hehehe

Al

Last edited:
I believe shrink tubing is rated by its I.D before shrinking. I use plenty of it in car repairs by soldering wires with the copper laid side by side and then 2 layers of shrink tubing. Odd, the solder joint always comes out a bit larger than the insulation diameter:( so I wind up using a different size than I expected to use. Good reason for me to have assorted sizes.

and quit frowning at me, will ya?

That Mouser link i posted is 4 feet long BLACK and $1.04... ebay its $1 a foot... i guess mouser is cheaper heh..

You just got to keep looking mate, the last bundle I got was 20 meters, 2m each of 10 sizes, cost me about £6, thats probably about $11 I think, but its too long ago to look in my feedback, but def from china.

Al

I'll second that suggestion to buy an assorted bag. Sometimes you don't know exactly what size you need until you poke the wire in it and do some tests, so having an assortment is very handy. Also you may want to use 2 sizes and put a second layer over things for extra strength.

heh thanks. Ill get me a assorted pack from radio shack since thats where i got my first pack heh.. i still get a small discount frmo friends so i save on shipping ...

it depends also on quality you need and thickness of tubing over wire and if you need it 100% humidity proof or not, i like those that gets glue inside that melt while heating, it makes a very good seal but there cost is high

I prefer clear heat shrink tubing. That way you can see what's underneath. However, if you do poor quality soldering then it might be best to cover it up :)

creakndale

Last edited:
heh cool i didnt know there was some with glue inside... I just need these mostly for making headers and such... kind of like jumpers from board to board.. or PCB to bread board when testing. and perhaps on mods to current projects.

Polyolyiphen (spelling) is the type of tubing I use most. I occaisonally buy an assortment of like 4' sections in various colors. Wire comes with various insulation sizes and soldering/crimping always uses more than you think you do. You have to keep the heat away when soldering. There are various thicknesses too.

The versions with glue on the inside has uses sometimes when you want to keep things water resistant.

I don't generally like clear tubing, but I use it for the drain line on audio cable because I don't want two black heat shrinks.

However, if you do poor quality soldering then it might be best to cover it up :)

creakndale

A better remark would be learn to solder better, as poor soldering has no place in electronics, and should be the first thing to master before going any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back