Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hearing aids revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I missed C13 but did change the others as suggested.
Will search fo different mics. I was under impression NOISE CANCELLING meant LOUD noises were shut off.
Going to recheck my entire schematic as I allowed components from my bat project to filter into this one.

I think your opamp is too noisy to be a mic preamp and your maximum gain is way too high at 68,400 (yes, more than 68 thousand when a tone control is at max).
A sensitive mic preamp has a gain of only 200.

But how does anybody except your hearing doctor know how deaf you are? Deaf like a toad?
I have never looked at how much attenuation of sounds occur to a deaf person who can be helped with a hearing aid. 10dB? (3.16 times) 20dB? (10 times).

perhaps lower the pre amp gain by changing R5 which sets the gain on the pre amp?
I will look for a lower noise op amp in TINA as it has LOTS of examples.
Thinking just build as is and I can change the gain seeing how I am using through hole on this unit for testing purposes.

Found better op amp

low noise etc
https://www.ti.com/product/opa4134
here is the schematic we have so far. NOTE the pots are 200K as that's what I have on hand. The full circuit will use 100k and 500k as noted in the Baxandall.
I noticed the input cap WAS on the wrong side of the input bias. This TINA simulation has it on the correct side.
I changed the input signal for 2.2k internal resistance
Grounding the unused +inputs I assume is correct way to disable the unused portions of the TDA2822 and the OPA4134?

Your new preamp circuit WILL NOT WORK!

Please learn that the (+) input of an opamp MUST have a DC bias voltage and the (-) input is biased by the negative feedback resistor.

BAD picture & missing V+

The connection wasn't there . I had to enlarge to see if there was a connection at R5 to C6
here is corrected enlarged pic.
The graph looks better?
I was under impression that R2 provided the bias but I failed to change the J1 to V+

I think the resistor that powers the mic should be supplied through an RC filter so that noise on the power supply is not fed to the input of the preamp.
I don't know where the 5V supply will come from. If it is a battery then it will bounce up and down with the signal which produces "motorboating" when amplified.

Your circuit has two circuits producing a bias voltage but only one circuit can bias both opamps.

EDIT: I forgot to say that since C6 has the huge value of 10uF then it passes frequencies down to one cycle per 6 seconds.
If it is 10nF (0.01uF) then it passes frequencies down to 16Hz.

Last edited:
Will change the bias (only one needed)
Voltage supply will be a battery so will add an RC filter.

A 1M resistor in series w/ .01 cap parallel with battery?
Searched for power supply RC circuits.

The battery needs 100uF parallel to it.
The 2.2k resistor that powers the mic should be fed through a 1k ohm resistor from the battery then the two resistors should have a 47uf or 100uF capacitor to ground where they meet.

revisions and additions

made some changes seeing how R15 and R2 can be eliminated with the bias from R16 & R13?

Yes, eliminate R15, R2 and C14. Connect R17 to "bias". Change C6 to 0.01uF (10nF) and change C3 to 10uF.

Think I have all corrections

Used the TINA schematic to re check my connections
When we get all done I hope to send you a PCboard seeing how I am going to order 10 minimum order.

I wondered about that resistor. The bias is connected in my schematic but contemplated if the 100k was needed seeing how the op amp input is biased.

I wondered about that resistor. The bias is connected in my schematic but contemplated if the 100k was needed seeing how the op amp input is biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back