Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headphone amp isolate output jack from chassis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy didi

Hi guys.
I have just finished a headphone mixer amp in a square hammond Aluminum enclosure. It will be powered from an external AC transformer.
All the input jack sockets and pot casings are in electrical contact with the steel chassis. All the 0V (ground) return wires from these input sockets then go to a star point near the power supply regulators.
Now for the output socket.
Should i isolate it from the chassis and run only the ground return wire to the star point, or will it not matter?
The has a gain of 5.

Connect the headphones jack to the metal chassis and test the sound. It will probably be fine but maybe there will be a ground loop that causes hum.

Hi guys.
I have just finished a headphone mixer amp in a square hammond Aluminum enclosure. It will be powered from an external AC transformer.
All the input jack sockets and pot casings are in electrical contact with the steel chassis. All the 0V (ground) return wires from these input sockets then go to a star point near the power supply regulators.
Now for the output socket.
Should i isolate it from the chassis and run only the ground return wire to the star point, or will it not matter?
The has a gain of 5.

If a linear Class AB, it likely doesn't matter if you isolate or not. Just don't count on the aluminum box as your conduction path back home to star ground. Your signal should run back to the star point via a copper wire just like the other half or you will increase your chance of a ground loop or even creating an antenna from your headphone cable (less likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back