Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have I missed something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm just reading the book "Microelectronic Circuits Fifth Edition" by Sedra/Smith about frequency response for amplifiers. An example shows how to find the DC-gain of an amplifier. The transfer function is (equation #1), which is on the form (equation #2).

The write then uses K as the DC-gain when s-->0 in the transfer function (equation 3). But K is not the DC-gain, but a constant. The DC-gain is the result from (equation 3), when K is known. Right? And how to find K then? One must be known...?

Thanks

Attachments

• eq1.PNG
    eq1.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 135
  • eq2.PNG
    eq2.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 136
  • eq3.PNG
    eq3.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 134
I thought that was a good book, im still using it for my circuits class.

i think what K is used for in that sense is a Load Resistance.
so, for instance a High Pass RL filter is H(s) = S / S + (R/L)
if there is a load resistance placed over the inductur than the transfer function changes so then so must H(S) = (Rl/R + Rl) S / S + (Rl/ R + Rl)( R/l)
lets simplify and make k = ( Rl / R + Rl)
and then finally.

H(s) = KS/ S + Wc : Wc = KR/L the cut off freq

Then K is not a constant so much as it just depends on the circuit.

Last edited:
That makes very good sense, but in order to complete the Sedra/Smith example 1.5 on page 37, it seems to me, that they are using K as the DC-gain.

The actual DC-gain is, of course, the voltage division between output impedance and load impedance.

In order to determine the constant K, the DC-output must be calculated first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back