Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Handling/problems with 8-bit shift register 4094

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronoob

First things first:

HIYA ALL !
(=> me is new member)

What a blessing this forum is/will be. I was looking for some basic stuff in electronics since there my problems usually lay.
Happened to stop-by this website since it showed up in Goegel.

Ok, enough about me, let me make this first post a fruitful one :)

-------------

Had a IC CMOS CD4094B(P) for a while now. And wanted to use the parallel / serial-port to address it.
Then it would use the 8 parallel outputs in conjunction with
some PNP (the switch ?) transistors BC547 to see it's output state with LED's.

But before I go in depth; some question on the IC-type in general and the 4094 specific:
- It's Vs and Vd Volts speak off 5/10/15Volts. Does that mean that 12V (using adapter for the moment) will give inaccurate results?
- The Vs does not need any resistor to max the current; only the other lines that will be usefull as inputs/output lines do have to have resistors, right?
- If I set the output of tyhe parallel or serial port DIRECTLY onto my chip's input lines and let those go to a transistor at the outputs (also, no resistor), that should work? (I read that often the current at the base needed is choosen above the calculated number just to be sure it does it work. So I guess the currency the that goes through the port, to the chip, to the base of transistor also can't be high and will not damage any of these or will affect the working of the transistor, now would it?)
- to check if a transistor still is ok; after measuring the resistance between the collector and emitter were very high (a few Mohms); same for the base and emitter. (THere was at the time no powersource hooked on to it btw; only the internal battery of the measuring device ofcourse)

Thanks in advance; sorry for the silly questions. But they were never answered back in the days I went to school.

electronoob said:
First things first:

HIYA ALL !
(=> me is new member)

What a blessing this forum is/will be. I was looking for some basic stuff in electronics since there my problems usually lay.
Happened to stop-by this website since it showed up in Goegel.

Ok, enough about me, let me make this first post a fruitful one :)

-------------

Had a IC CMOS CD4094B(P) for a while now. And wanted to use the parallel / serial-port to address it.
Then it would use the 8 parallel outputs in conjunction with
some PNP (the switch ?) transistors BC547 to see it's output state with LED's.

But before I go in depth; some question on the IC-type in general and the 4094 specific:
- It's Vs and Vd Volts speak off 5/10/15Volts. Does that mean that 12V (using adapter for the moment) will give inaccurate results?
- The Vs does not need any resistor to max the current; only the other lines that will be usefull as inputs/output lines do have to have resistors, right?
- If I set the output of tyhe parallel or serial port DIRECTLY onto my chip's input lines and let those go to a transistor at the outputs (also, no resistor), that should work? (I read that often the current at the base needed is choosen above the calculated number just to be sure it does it work. So I guess the currency the that goes through the port, to the chip, to the base of transistor also can't be high and will not damage any of these or will affect the working of the transistor, now would it?)
- to check if a transistor still is ok; after measuring the resistance between the collector and emitter were very high (a few Mohms); same for the base and emitter. (THere was at the time no powersource hooked on to it btw; only the internal battery of the measuring device ofcourse)

Thanks in advance; sorry for the silly questions. But they were never answered back in the days I went to school.

Looks like supply voltage can be up to 20V Max.. so, you can run on 12V just fine.

You should not need to put resistor in series with Vs. The device will draw currents it needs to internal bias & output drivers - you do not want to limit that.

You can place a resistor in series with base of transistor (but you might not need one). Worst case, is you will saturate the transistor. You can place your resistor in the collector circuit if you are worried about the current in the transistor. To be safe, be sure to calculate your power dissipation at your operating points so you don't overheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back