Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hand Soldering SC-70-6 packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I am trying to hand solder a 6 pin sc-70 package to a professionally made board using a hot air soldering station. I've managed the SOIC8 and 14 pin devices no problem and managed a sot-23-6 but when attempting to solder the SC-70 package I managed to bridge two pins. I've removed the microscopic component from the board but can't manage to remove the bridge. Anyone any suggestions? Also, any tips in general on mounting these minute components very much appreciated.

Mike.
This link is to a very useful microchip document that contains all there footprints. SC-70-6 is on page 54.

Edit, just noticed my solder paste is out of date which could explain why I ended up with too much. Will buy new in the morning.

I have not done a SC-70, but I have done a TSSOP-14 , which has the same 0.65 mm pin spacing. There was really no problem at all.

What size pads did you use? Mine were 0.012"x 0.039" (Eagle, approx. 0.305 mm x 0.991 mm). In other words narrower than on the MCP link you provided. Did you omit soldermask between the pads? Mine were soldermask defined (no central heat sink). I used leaded 63/37 solder.

Finally, for solder braid, I only use Chemtronics Rosin SD "Solder-Wick." I have tried other brands but have not been as satisfied. It will almost remove the very thin solder plating to reveal copper.

John

EDIT:

I figured a couple of images might help.

Here is the board from the Purple People:

upload_2017-7-6_17-30-30.png

Millimeter scale at bottom. NB: solder resist

Here is the soldered device (AS5048):

upload_2017-7-6_17-32-15.png

Sorry for the glare. It is the best I can do with my cheap photo"microscope" (Andonstar).

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back