Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hand crank torch - NiMH charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo

Hi there,

So I am interested in the charging of NiMH batteries, some websites say that they should not be charged over 0.1C, some say 0.5C some say not over 1C.

I bought this wind up torch with a 80mah 3.6v batteries pack and noticed the current flow is around 200 mA, this is 2.5C.

So my question is, is it ok to go over 1C and if so, how far can this stretch?

Cheers

The current flow when you wind it is 2.5C?

The faster you charge it, the smarter the charger has to be. Also the faster you charge it, the less charges you will get out of the battery.

"Also the faster you charge it, the less charges you will get out of the battery."

Oh really, how does that work?
Surely Qin = Qout

If the charge current is too high, the cell can heat up and it can also produce excess gas, causing venting.

Both shorten the overall life of the cell.

"Also the faster you charge it, the less charges you will get out of the battery."

Oh really, how does that work?
Surely Qin = Qout
He means, the fewer number of charges you will get over the lifetime of the battery. Charging faster than recommended is hard on batteries and decreases their lifetime.

Your mistake is imagining it's well designed, it's just cheaply thrown together with no design considerations, and not expected to have much of a lifetime anyway - but to be fair it NEEDS to charge it as rapidly as possible, who wants to stand there winding a torch for 24 hours?. The shortened life of the battery isn't a consideration in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back