Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hall effect gear tooth sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennydow241

I am an electronics student at university and I am building a rev counter for an engine. To do this I will need a gear tooth sensor.

Having looked around allegro seems to do what I am looking for. (Either ATS673LSETN or ATS674LSETN)

The only problem is I can't seem to find anywhere to sell me them in the UK.

RS components do a sensor from Honeywell however this is a bit high priced and Maplin have now stopped selling an allegro gear tooth sensor which they used to sock.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Kenny

go to allegro's website and order some samples, lie a bit when the webpage that askes you questions about your project comes up, and bang you'll have upto 6 samples within a week or two. It's really easy it get hold of something you really need fast.

I've had samples from them before at work (754 series hall effect actions), I had to beef up my project description a bit. I didn't have to tell them what it was for because it was classified, but it definately helps if you say you intend to put it into production soonish and are going to make a few hundred to a couple thousand. Sometimes research projects get samples as well if it is deemed benificial to their sales. Some companies just hand out samples willy nilly. It's always a good start. I said two weeks, but that was for a brand new device. If it is in stock it may come sooner. Analog, TI and Dallas all deliver next day from the other side of the world, not too sure about allegro though.

btw, If you have never heard of samples, or thought you could not get away with it until now, I don't intend for every one that thinks they can blag a few free componants out of these companies to give it a go. The samples system that companies operate are quite strict, the odd crafty order goes through if you really need something, but a mass sample frenzy is likely to rub the manufacturers up the wrong way.

Could you use one from an auto engine? If so, could you procure the item at a reasonable price or from a salvage yard? I have seen them advertised at places like Ocean State Electronics and similar surplus places.

Places where you might find these sensors in an auto - ignition, CSS( crankshaft speed sensor) or on ABS (antilock braking system).

I tried to get samples from the web page but it says you need to contact your local distributor. When I went to their site there was nothing there about ordering samples. I think it'll be a bit more difficult to bluff over the phone if I have to call them.

I have ordered some samples before but not from Allegro. Maxim are good. www.maxim-ic.com

Thanks anyway.

Jbeng is correct - a pickup for a toothed gear wheel is invariably a coil around a magnet. Think of it as a pickup for a one-string guitar. The output is approximately sinusoidal and an average sensor will give about 12vpk-pk with a clearance of about 2mm at, say, 1000rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back