Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extending reversing sensors

camerart

Hi,
I have a car reversing kit, where the sensors, use coax.
I have a van which is much longer than the coax.
Do you think it is possible to use one of the coax from one sensor, and solder it into another one to extend It?
The sensors may send timing signals.
Camerart

Coax has a lot of C to drive, so use a scope and look at signals
at receive and xmit side to see if they meet noise margin and
basically look OK. Consult drive side to make sure it can handle
large C load in terms of stability.

What specifically are the sensors, part numbers, driving the coax ?

Regards, Dana.

"Sensor" is likely a big word - likely just a self-contained camera and ultrasonic module sending video to the display in the center console. Patching a 1 to 2 meter length of coax shouldn't be a problem if done properly. I'd find a proper connector (or a proper extension cable). You are likely not the first person to have this problem with a long vehicle - check eBay, AliExpress and Amazon to see if an extension cable is available.

"Sensor" is likely a big word - likely just a self-contained camera and ultrasonic module sending video to the display in the center console. Patching a 1 to 2 meter length of coax shouldn't be a problem if done properly. I'd find a proper connector (or a proper extension cable). You are likely not the first person to have this problem with a long vehicle - check eBay, AliExpress and Amazon to see if an extension cable is available.
Hi Z,
The sensors are ultrasonic echo type, and the whole system was cheap. The sensors are directly wired connector at one end and sensor at the other. I imagine any other sensors to fit it would really mean, buy a reversing camera. My van's too old to buy a new one.

I'll simply try joining one up and see what happens.
C

The control box has a screen showing each sensor distance.
OK, so just connect it up and try it.

You don't have to install the thing into the van.
Just lay it out on the floor and connect it up as supplied, test it to se that it works.
Then, try extending one of the sensor cables and see if it still works.
If it does work, try extending all of the sensors, if they also work ok then you are good to install it in the van.

If not, then you need a different kit.

Just do it.
You are suffering from analysis paralysis.

JimB

PS, analysis and design reviews in your head are good.
But sometimes you just have to try it and see what happens.

OK, so just connect it up and try it.

You don't have to install the thing into the van.
Just lay it out on the floor and connect it up as supplied, test it to se that it works.
Then, try extending one of the sensor cables and see if it still works.
If it does work, try extending all of the sensors, if they also work ok then you are good to install it in the van.

If not, then you need a different kit.

Just do it.
You are suffering from analysis paralysis.

JimB

PS, analysis and design reviews in your head are good.
But sometimes you just have to try it and see what happens.
Hi J,
I'll do that!
I'm not suffering analysis paralysis, I'm just too busy to do it. I've got lots of 2x minute jobs to do
C

Hi,
I did a couple of 2xminute jobs yesterday, and this was one of them!

After a hint of 'analysis paralysis' and after getting this out many times, and putting it back on the shelf, and remembering an earlier reply- I looked at it again, and saw that the screen lead, which had never been unravled, was 17foot long, so if I put the unit near the back of the van and the screen in front of me, I think it will work without any cutting and splicing. (the front sensors now won't reach, no matter!)

A bit of wasting your time, I think oops.
C

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back