Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hall current sensor and PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpjack

I want to check if my car lamps are properly working or not, without interfering with or modifying the electrical plant of the car, so I thought about using hall current sensors... but I don't know anything about them, so I can't understand their datasheets.
I see they give out a voltage proportional to detected current, or a digital signal, which is what I actually need, as I want to interface them to a PIC.

So, which specific hall sensor should I buy? I think current I have to detect is about 1 or 2 A (car bulbs).

As I said, I don't want to modify my car, so a shunt resistor is out of the scope.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/03/0900766b806c4346.pdf

gives an output linearly dependent on the current. I have used one of them with the output read by the ADC on a PIC.

For small currents, you will have to put the several turns on the primary. That is why that current transformer has three primary connections that can be paralleled for large currents or put in series for small currents.

The current you are detecting is too small for you to just clip something around a the wire.

You can get hall-effect devices from an old keyboard. That's how I got nearly 100 of them.
2 turns of wire around them will produce sufficient magnetic flux to switch the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back