Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Half duplex RF tranceiver by using LINX RF modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

darvaish

I have got RF modules ,TXM-418-LR(transmitter) and RXM-418-LR(receiver) and the antenna ANT-418-PW-RA.

Now i want to make a half duplex tranceiver by using these RF modules.For that i can understand that i will need a SPDT RF switch to connect a single antenna to the transmitter and receiver module.
But for some reasons i cant go for above solution.Now if i will place the transmitter and receiver modules side by side then i can manage to get a very small distance (around 8mm) between the antenna feed pins of both modules.Now if i connect both antenna feed pins through a tab very near to the modules on the PCB and connect a single antenna to that tab and then control my transmitter and receiver through a microcontroller using the power down pins of modules such that only one of them remain active at a time
Will this thing work properly as a Half duplex tranceiver?

Dtasheets can be consulted for reference at following links:

https://www.linxtechnologies.com/images/products_cat/rf_modules/lr_series/lr-rxm_manual.pdf

https://www.linxtechnologies.com/images/products_cat/rf_modules/lr_series/lr_txm_manual.pdf

https://www.linxtechnologies.com/in...tennas&subcategory=monopole&series=ra_series

Thanking in anticipation

darvaish said:
I have got RF modules ,TXM-418-LR(transmitter) and RXM-418-LR(receiver) and the antenna ANT-418-PW-RA.

Now i want to make a half duplex tranceiver by using these RF modules.For that i can understand that i will need a SPDT RF switch to connect a single antenna to the transmitter and receiver module.
But for some reasons i cant go for above solution.Now if i will place the transmitter and receiver modules side by side then i can manage to get a very small distance (around 8mm) between the antenna feed pins of both modules.Now if i connect both antenna feed pins through a tab very near to the modules on the PCB and connect a single antenna to that tab and then control my transmitter and receiver through a microcontroller using the power down pins of modules such that only one of them remain active at a time
Will this thing work properly as a Half duplex tranceiver?

As I understand it, you are wanting to simply join both aerial connections from the modules together?, and then connect a single aerial to that point?.

This is going to cause a severe mismatch!.

I suggest you look for 'pin diode' switches, which will switch between the two without using a relay.

Yes you are right that i simply want to join both aerial connections from the modules together, and then connect a single aerial to that point.

Can you please explain how this will cause a mismatch even when only one of the modules i.e either transmitter or receiver will be ON at a time
I will switch off the transmitter while receiving and also receiver will be switched off while transmitting

Thanks

darvaish said:
Can you please explain how this will cause a mismatch even when only one of the modules i.e either transmitter or receiver will be ON at a time
I will switch off the transmitter while receiving and also receiver will be switched off while transmitting

Because they are still connected! - removing the power doesn't disconnect them.

Assuming they are 50 ohms impedance, adding the receiver in parallel with the aerial places a 25 ohm load on the transmitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back