Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hacking AC thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmdmasud

Hi.
I have a situation where the AC temperature control unit is fixed to a specific temperature. I want to control the temperature to some degree. the temperature sensor used is a thermistor rated 1.5k at 22C. Can i place a 1k pot in series with the thermistor to change the temperature. Please suggest.

upload_2018-7-24_14-54-25.png

Assuming the thermistor is a NTC type, the pot in series should enable adjustment to a higher temperature, but not to a lower one. Is that what you want?

To complement Alec's reply, if you want to lower the temperature, then a pot in parallel with the thermistor will do the trick.
I would use a pot with a value at least 10X that of the thermistor. And put a fixed resistor in series with the pot, such that the total resistance value NEVER goes down to zero.

That would work too. What temperature range are you interested in?

If you did a few measurements we could figure out the optimum values. initially measure the resistance of the thermister at the fixed temp. Do the parallel combination at 20 and 30. 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2....1/Rn for a parallel combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back