Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

guitar amp, where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay543_uk

hi all, iv never done any audio amp but im intrested in trying to build a amp for my acoustic guitar, can any1 advise me on where to start

regards jason

jay543_uk said:
hi all, iv never done any audio amp but im intrested in trying to build a amp for my acoustic guitar, can any1 advise me on where to start

regards jason

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the board. What kind of electronics experience do you have, outside of audio amps? That'll help judge what kind of thing you might like to try.

Also, what are your hopes for the thing? Does the guitar already have a built-in pickup? What about a preamp? Or would you like to use a microphone?

Torben

hi, iv been playing around with elec projects using op-amp, leds, lcd with pics.
just messing around with different ideas ect, what i have learn is out of a book or on this web site.

my guitar is an acoustic guitar with a built in pick up with a plug on the back of it to plug into.

i dont want anything to fancy just a amp and if i can maybe adjust bass ect

many thanks

jason

jay543_uk said:
hi, iv been playing around with elec projects using op-amp, leds, lcd with pics.
just messing around with different ideas ect, what i have learn is out of a book or on this web site.

my guitar is an acoustic guitar with a built in pick up with a plug on the back of it to plug into.

i dont want anything to fancy just a amp and if i can maybe adjust bass ect

many thanks

jason

OK. Is the pickup a piezo under-bridge pickup, and does it have a preamp in the guitar (does the guitar need a battery and maybe have a volume/tone control)? If it doesn't have a preamp you may need to compensate for the high piezo output impedance; if it does have the preamp that will be taken care of by the preamp.

Maybe I should just ask what the guitar make and model is.

This simple project (http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html ) should get you started. It's easy to build, has few parts, and is a decent starting point. It has high input impedance so you might be able to just plug your guitar straight into it and play. It's no Fender Hot Rod DeVille but makes a half-decent first practice amp.

Hope this helps,

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back