Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GTP USB Lite....

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeremygaughan said:
I've found a programmer that appears suited for my needs as a beginner, and have found a place that will burn my firmware. Now I just want to find out a few things... What are the opinions of the people out there who are using it, if any. Also, I have been googling a lot and haven't yet found out how to determine which type of capacitors are being used by looking at the schematic.

jeremygaughan said:
Disc caps that are a little shinny and fatter are generally tantalium.

I believe the shiny cap is the non-polarized 100nF cap. Tantalum caps are polarized which means it is more than likely a Monolithic Multilayer Ceramic and not the suggested Tantalum. These generally come in blue and orange (that I know of).

Has anyone worked out why the schematic at www.ali3nworld.blogspot.com has an extra 100uF polarized cap in parallel with the 100nF? This is the only schematic I have found that diverges from the original.

The 100nF is a decoupling cap, the 100uF is a filter/smoothing cap. You need both.
I would recommend building the PICkit2 / Junebug over the GTB, it's a much better tool and about the same parts count (a couple more transistors & an inductor).

Hey guys thanks for the replies.....I've since last October purchased a Pickit 2. They are pretty affordable even from Microchip. It is working perfect and doesn't have any hangups. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back