Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GTP USB Lite....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremygaughan

I've found a programmer that appears suited for my needs as a beginner, and have found a place that will burn my firmware. Now I just want to find out a few things... What are the opinions of the people out there who are using it, if any. Also, I have been googling a lot and haven't yet found out how to determine which type of capacitors are being used by looking at the schematic. The site is in Spanish but the diagrams and schematics are very
clear. Maybe it's possible to tell which type of capacitors are used by reviewing the photo. Thanks, and here is a photo and the link
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

The larger caps are electrolytic and th smaller caps are dipped tantalum. All there components on the board are everyday parts minus the PIC. Should be easy to construct.

Thanks for the help. I was talking with Blueroom and he told me that this is basically a PIKKIT2 which is very well supported. I'm going to go do some googling about it before I build either. But for sure I have learned a lot. So here is what I have learned, and I'm sure the forum members aren't afraid to correct me where I'm wrong.
1 You can't start a new thread again until you have posted a minimum number of times. ;) thanks to blueroom for answering anyway.
2 Do your homework, it almost always pays off, especially in the forum. (unless it takes you so long that your subject becomes obsolete. That's only funny until it happens to you.)
3 Canister looking caps are generally electrolytic even if they have colors.
4 Flat "disc" caps are actually disc caps, the cheep ceramic kind.
5 Disc caps that are a little shinny and fatter are generally tantalium.
6 My girlfriend will never think this is cool even after seeing a blinking led.

jeremygaughan said:
Thanks for the help. I was talking with Blueroom and he told me that this is basically a PIKKIT2 which is very well supported. I'm going to go do some googling about it before I build either. But for sure I have learned a lot. So here is what I have learned, and I'm sure the forum members aren't afraid to correct me where I'm wrong.
1 You can't start a new thread again until you have posted a minimum number of times. ;) thanks to blueroom for answering anyway.
2 Do your homework, it almost always pays off, especially in the forum. (unless it takes you so long that your subject becomes obsolete. That's only funny until it happens to you.)
3 Canister looking caps are generally electrolytic even if they have colors.
4 Flat "disc" caps are actually disc caps, the cheep ceramic kind.
5 Disc caps that are a little shinny and fatter are generally tantalium.
6 My girlfriend will never think this is cool even after seeing a blinking led.

C1,C2 1:mu: F 63v Electrolytic caps
C3 10:mu: F 63V "
C4,C5 15pF ceramic Disc caps
C6 47:mu: F 25V Elecrolytic cap
C7 100nF multilayer chip cap with leads.( this is the one shining)

The concerned schematic PDF file as downloaded is attached

Last edited:
I meant to say its similar to the PICKit2 design I'm working on. That GTB USB one uses the same 18F2550 as the PICKit2 but is a simpler design. The voltage tripler on the PK2 is a boost converter, the GTB a switched capacitor. Both work quite well. The GTB does not seem to publish the .hex file you'll need. The PK2 does, also the PK2 is a far more polished little programmer than the GTB.

I'll post my simplified version of the PK2 in these forums in the next couple of days.

I have read in a few places that the PK2 only supports around 8 different PICs. I am really interested in the 16f628a (for learning and basic playing around), 16f629 and the 10f2xx's probably the 10f200 (which weren't on the list.)
I would prefer to build the PK2 design, but I have a specific goal in mind and the programs are too complex for me to translate to another PIC. Or in other words I can't yet rewrite the program for a PIC compatible with the PK2. The project is IR system for very small airplanes. I'm sure you have seen this project before as it is quite old.
The GTP, in Spanish, means program all PICs. Of course not many can actually do that for under $800.00 but I have read that it does many of the common PICs. About the HEX, you are right. They don't publish it and the only way to get the new file legitimately is to buy a preprogrammed chip for around $35.00. But, I found the original HEX, it was on a blog site. I understand that the old hex is still legal and valid, but the new ones are copy right protected. So after all that, my question is...Is the PK2 compatible with so few PICs or has it been updated.
Receiver link
**broken link removed**
Transmitter link
**broken link removed**

The PICKit2 supports oodles of PICs 10,12,16,18,24,30,33 & EEPROMs in programming mode using its own software. As of MPLAB 7.62 it supports quite a few PICs espically the popular ones and debug support for a handful of popular 16F & 18F chips. It's so cheap to buy it's almost not worth cloning and that said I'm working on a reduced function clone (No 3.3V) with a combo Tutor board as the only thing not to like about the PK2 is the programming connector.
A genuine PK2 is only about $40, I've seen clones for as little as $10 on ebay but the shipping will get you. Most clones are $29 go figure. I'd buy the real article for the extra $10.
It has some features the ICD2 doesn't have, auto PIC detection, personalization, EEPROM (I2C, SPI, Microwire) support, TTL (inverted) UART test mode (I'm using that cool feature with the new kit).
For a hobbyist it's an excellent product. And it's easy to build an adapter for use with my kits :)
Here's a early draft of the PK2 part of the schematic
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
As soon as I get my JDM working I would like to make a PK2. But in the mean while I am proposing these comments and questions. There are thousands of pages dealing with starting out of the program world, and thousands of pages dealing with advanced electronics..... but when I search for something mid level, I find my self in the dark. For example, finding a programmer that was made after 2005. A tutorial that is current and has an accessible author. One current schematic that uses simple components for a JDM. And is it possible there there would be a filtered straight forward explanation of what is happening when a PIC is being programmed. (that is not sarcasm I actually searched,) And last....why is my helping hand smoking that?
**broken link removed**

can I add the GTP USB Lite has very limited pics it can support.
and will cost you about the same as a pickit2.

first project

I built a JDM and it seems to work fine. It detects the PIC, programs and verifies. Also I can read the PIC and my hex appears. However the lights don't blink. I think my set up is wrong. I ran the program through the simulator and it ran well. Any ideas on what could be wrong. Thanks
**broken link removed**
Code:
	list p=16f628a
#include <p16f628a.inc>
		__config b'10000100100110' ;code that I erased that might be used in the config	_CP_OFF & _CPT_OFF & _WDTE_OFF & _PWRTE_ON & _BOREN_OFF &_INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _MCLRE_ON & _LVP_OFF
		ERRORLEVEL -302

cblock     20h               ;establish variables
	del_clk1,del_clk2,extrav
	endc						      

bsf        STATUS,RP0        ;Switch to Bank 1
    movlw      00h               ;Set the Port A pins
    movwf      TRISA             ;to output.
    bcf        STATUS,RP0        ;Switch back to Bank 0

movlw	   07h				 ;turn off comparators
    movwf	   CMCON

Start           

movlw     01h                ;Turn the red LED on by first putting it
    movwf     PORTA              ;into the w register and then on the port 

call      Delay 
	call      Delay

movlw     00h                ;Turn all LEDs off by first putting it
    movwf     PORTA              ;into the w register and then on the port 

movlw	  02h 				 ;Turn on green led
	movwf	  PORTA				 ;

call      Delay
	call      Delay

movlw	  00h				 ;turn off all leds
	movwf	  PORTA

movlw	  04h				 ;turn on yellow led
	movwf	  PORTA

call      Delay

movlw	  00h				 ;turn off all leds
	movwf	  PORTA

goto      Start              ;go back to Start and turn LED on again 

Delay
    movlw     0xFF	             ;set value of counter2
    movwf	  del_clk2           ;assign to varible del_clk2
Loop2	
	movlw	  0xFF                ;set value of counter
    movwf     del_clk1     	     ;assign to varible del_clk1

Loop1

decfsz    del_clk1,1         ;This second loop keeps the LED
    goto      Loop1              ;on for a moment
    decfsz    del_clk2,1              
    goto      Loop2             
    return 

end                                                                   ;Needed by some compilers, and also

Last edited:
Hi Jeremy,
please check your dely subroutine especiaally here: the loop2 subroutine not defined i fear

delay and loop 2 are similar except that the destination address changes. then
after completing loop 1 whhat exactly it does next?
tome it appears it will go to loop 1 and load clk1 again?

something is smelling for me. Ofcourse i do accept i am not a professional in programming and still learning

Perhaps the definition loop2 should be across the line
loop2 decfsz del_clk2,1
and not where it is now. please check

Last edited:
Check my site for the Hello World document in the download section. There is a simple 16F628A LED blinker there that you can use. Your JDM should be able to use the program.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try the prewritten program to make sure that it's not a hardware problem. Really I think there is something wrong with my config. Hex is written in blocks of 4 numbers so, 4 8 12 16 bits are easy to write. But the config. uses 14 bits so I wrote it in binary, the only way I know to get 14 characters. Is that possible or should they be written out in words or some other way?

jeremygaughan said:
Thanks for the responses. I am going to try the prewritten program to make sure that it's not a hardware problem. Really I think there is something wrong with my config. Hex is written in blocks of 4 numbers so, 4 8 12 16 bits are easy to write. But the config. uses 14 bits so I wrote it in binary, the only way I know to get 14 characters. Is that possible or should they be written out in words or some other way?

I tried to compile and test it after a little mod please see this attached file

Last edited:
I figured it out. Suuuuper rookie mistake. If working in PORTA you better use pins RA0 RA1.... in your project. Now I'm off to the next project. thanks for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back